Email me new jobs like these
Our Marine team undertakes a wide range of contentious and non-contentious work on behalf of owners, insurers, financiers and builders in the marine leisure sector. We are enjoying huge success and receiving an increasing number of instructions across the industry, so are looking to hire a Solicitor or Associate to support this pipeline of work.
The successful individual will be actively involved in all areas of marine law, including providing advice on matters relating to superyacht ownership such as sale, purchase, build and refit of yachts and superyachts. . The role will also include working with underwriters and owners in relation to policy terms as well as claims arising from collisions, salvage or machinery damage. Complex and multi-jurisdictional disputes work will also form part of the role. The team interact with other practices in the firm to support emergency response matters and regulation around ports development.
This opportunity will suit individuals with strong commercial drafting skills and an exceptional sense of client service. We would welcome expressions of interest from lawyers with a strong commercial or litigation background with a genuine and demonstrable interest in the sector.
We are currently adopting a hybrid approach of balancing working on both a remote and office based basis, according to client need. Our offices and working practices are set in a Covid-19 compliant manner, therefore, so as long as you would be able to come to our Southampton at least twice per week, client and team requirements depending, you will be able to undertake this role. You will be a core part of the team and able to access the technology, support and resources you require. You will be able to rely on support from team members across the firm. Our lawyer teams are also well supported by our Business Services Finance, HR, IT and Risk functions.
Skills / Experience Required
* Admitted as a Solicitor of England and Wales and at 4-6 PQE level (although this is a guide)
* Experienced in providing contentious and / or non-contentious marine law advice, or commercial litigation advice or commercial contracts advice with enthusiasm for the marine sector
* Experience of acting on multi-jurisdictional matters
* Experienced in acting for a range of individual HNW and corporate clients
* Interest in marine leisure and superyacht law
* Experienced in client management with finely tuned interpersonal skills
* Comfortable handling simultaneous matters and able to prioritise workload of self and others
* Demonstrates problem solving approach and able to quickly identify root cause issues
* Committed to keeping knowledge up to date around fast changing domestic and international law
* Committed to rigour around treating all clients fairly
* Focused on attributing dedication, determination and loyalty to colleagues, clients and communities
* Able to demonstrate continuous development and diversity in thinking
* Understands and complies with Information Security responsibilities commensurate with this role including Data Protection and the duty of confidentiality
Blake Morgan is one of the UK's leading full service law firms, with offices in London, Wales, Thames Valley and the South Coast region. We provide our clients with practical and straightforward legal advice whatever their regional, national and international requirements. Our clients are commercial businesses, not-for-profit organisations, government agencies and private individuals.
Our business groups are:
Banking and Finance
Commercial and Charities
Commercial Recoveries and Travel
Employment, Pensions, Benefits & Immigration
Our Culture and Environment
We pride ourselves on our Personality, which is weaved into everything we do for our staff, clients and communities alike. We have created an environment underpinned by our ACTS framework that places high value on being:
It's part of the way we like to do things. If you wish to work amongst colleagues with these behaviours, then you will find yourself amongst likeminded individuals at Blake Morgan.
We work as one team and believe in supporting our colleagues to strengthen the firm. We act honestly and openly in all that we do. We care for our communities and encourage all our people to actively participate in our sports, social and charitable activities. We foster a mature and smart flexible working environment which is family friendly. We also offer opportunities to develop your skills and knowledge and to progress within the firm via our Blake Morgan Academy.
Blake Morgan strives to create and maintain a positive, non-discriminatory work environment. We will ensure that all applications for vacancies will be considered without discrimination against any person on the basis of race, colour, religion, disability, nationality, ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or marital status. We strive to ensure that our shortlisting and interviewing panels are diverse. Further details about our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion can be found here.
Some of the benefits of working at Blake Morgan include:
* 26 days' annual holiday and option to purchase 1 weeks' leave
* Birthday holiday, should your birthday fall on a working day
* Performance related bonus scheme
* Private medical insurance including access to a health advice helpline
* Auto-enrolment pension scheme (5% employer pension contribution when employee contributes 3%)
* Life assurance scheme
* Critical illness cover
* Cash Plan - claim for flu jab, health screening, optical and dental plus a range of wellbeing and health services
* Employee Assistance Programme
* Professional subscriptions
* Season ticket loan (Cardiff, London and Reading)
* Cycle to work scheme
* Discounts at leading retailers
* Volunteering leave
* Recruitment referral scheme
* Gifts at key lifestyle and career milestones