12 months ago
We have a varied and challenging opportunity for an individual to manage our trade mark formalities process.
Our IP group is one of the largest teams in Europe for patent and trade mark work. We have qualified patent and trade mark attorneys working alongside IP, litigation, corporate and commercial lawyers. This presents a unique offering in the market.
About the role
Located in our London office, this role will provide first class support to the Trade Mark team.
Key responsibilities and duties will include (but are not limited to):
* Inputting data on our records system - Patricia.
* Updating records to reflect new deadlines/statuses.
* Extensive use of EUIPO, UKIPO and WIPO websites/databases including but not limited to downloading incoming correspondence, preparing and filing various trade mark forms such as new applications, renewals, assignments, change of names etc.
* Dealing with formalities associated with trade mark and design applications.
* Preparing and filing UK, EUTM and design applications.
* Reporting new trade mark/design filings, publications, and checking and reporting registration certificates to client.
* Corresponding effectively with foreign agents; seeking and preparing cost estimates; preparing powers of attorneys etc.; filing assignments/change of names etc.
* Corresponding effectively with clients, seeking instructions, reporting developments etc.
* Renewals – managing renewals for two large trade mark portfolios as well as others. This includes preparing annual schedules with costs and details of documentation required. Seeking client instructions and documenation to ensure that deadlines are met.
* Opening, new matters including sending conflict checks.
* Ensuring DMS is kept up to date with all correspondence.
A good understanding of what trade marks are and the process to apply for, obtain and maintain registrations.
CITMA Paralegal Certified candidates would be an advantage but are not essential.
Previous experience of inputting trade mark data into databases accurately for monitoring deadlines is essential.
Self-motivated and proactive attitude are essential.
Enthusiastic, confident with good organisational and administration skills.
Flexible and able to effectively manage a number of priorities at any one time.
High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
Good Microsoft Office skills.
Previous experience of a document management system would be beneficial but not essential.
Good communication skills, both oral and written.
CMS is an international law firm with market leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond.
Ranked as the world’s 6th largest law firm by lawyer headcount and 6th largest in the UK by revenue, CMS works with clients in 42 countries from 74 offices worldwide.
A future facing law firm CMS is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. And we recruit, value and nurture top talent.
CMS is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment, to not only adhere to current employment law, but to harness the full potential of our staff and ensure that all individuals are treated fairly and with respect. To meet this aim CMS endeavours to treat all staff and job applicants equally, on the basis of merit and the ability to do their job. Everybody will be treated equally regardless of race, colour, age, religion or belief, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital or civil partner status, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or maternity status (“Protected Characteristics”).
For further information about CMS’ diversity initiatives and programmes, please click here to view the diversity pages on our website.
How to apply
If you are interested, please apply online. If you have any queries, please contact Claire Keen, Recruitment Advisor.
Please note that CMS have a preferred agency panel in place. Only applications submitted via the portal at the point of instruction will be accepted.