5 months ago
JOB TITLE Telephone Collections Negotiator - Business Disputes and Asset Recovery Team
Based in Glasgow REPORTING TO Iain Rutherford, Partner and Marianne Griffin, Managing Associate JOB PURPOSE As a result of the continued growth of the team, we currently have an opportunity for an
experienced Telephone Collections Negotiator to join our Debt and Asset Recovery Team based in
Glasgow. You will be joining a fast growing area of our business where you will have genuine
opportunities for long term development and a stable working environment.
Our Debt & Asset Recovery team offers a comprehensive service in all areas of commercial and
consumer debt recovery with a distinct focus on the efficiency and quality of our service with careful
regard to reputation protection. We specialise in the recovery of debts, vehicles and other assets
for clients and for the Firm, utilising a case management system and other procedures.
In this role, you will be tasked with responding to or contacting a range of customers, both
commercial and consumer, who are indebted to our clients or have fallen into arrears, with a view
to negotiating recovery of what is owed and, where appropriate, a mutually beneficial payment plan.
A confident, personable and understanding telephone manner is essential, as is the ability to build
rapport with client and third parties. You will require to carry out collection work within the
parameters set by our clients and whilst treating our clients’ customers fairly
The role will also involve responding to e-mail correspondence from debtors as well as in-bound
calls. CORE TASKS
• Pre-litigation and, to a lesser extent, post litigation, telephone collections, focusing
predominantly on unregulated commercial debt but also including regulated consumer debt;
• Negotiating the recovery of debts by instalments – predominantly unregulated commercial
debt but including regulated consumer debt;
• Negotiating and putting in place legally enforceable instalment arrangements;
• Responding to e-mail correspondence from debtors
• Processing payments received;
• Chasing overdue payments;
• All administration in relation to Debt and Asset Recovery including preparation of reports by
Excel spreadsheet and otherwise;
• Promoting Brodies’ Debt and Asset Recovery Services to existing and potential clients of the
• All other relevant duties and responsibilities such as may be instructed;
• Awareness of Brodies’ information security policies, and protect information assets from
unauthorised access, disclosure, modification, destruction or interference at all times. PERSON SPECIFICATION
• Practical experience in debt collection or recoveries is desirable.
• The successful applicant must be able to multi-task
• Ability to communicate effectively on the telephone with clients and third parties and be
empathetic when dealing with debtors - in particular, you must be comfortable speaking
about financial issues
• Applicants need to be able to work on their own initiative with a positive attitude to work.
• Excellent team player
• Organised and capable of working under pressure, and to tight deadlines.
• Adopts a flexible and proactive approach to work duties
• Able to prioritise work
• Able to work unsupervised and on one's own. SKILLS
• Excellent communication skills both written and oral
• Ideally candidates will have knowledge of the Visual Files case management system
• Able to organise and prioritise time effectively in order to achieve deadlines
• Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of Scottish debt recovery procedures and
methods of enforcement
• Confident with simple arithmetical calculations
• Conversant with the relevant FCA CONC Rules
Brodies is committed to equality, diversity & the creation of an inclusive work environment where
no partner, employee, potential employee or job applicant receives less favourable treatment. We
value the skills, experience and perspective that a diverse and representative workforce offers us in
terms of our ability to deliver top class legal services to our clients.