6 months ago
Solicitor, Structured Products
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years.. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. We are committed to being a sustainable global law firm, having a positive impact on our clients, employees, the environment and the communities in which we are based. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Our structured products practice is part of the firm's finance practice and advises on the full range of structured products and other related products and regulatory issues.
Our Structured Products Group (SPG) is a leading – if not the leading practice in the area (English law). Our clients are most of the top tier investment banks, and we generally handle their structured products platforms. The practice is global, in the sense that we handle projects and trade flow from EMEA, US and Asia, including offerings into those jurisdictions. There will be regular opportunities for secondments to leading investment banks.
SPG is part of the broader Securities & Derivatives Group, which includes OTC derivatives, DCM, Structured Finance, and Shari'ah products – there are opportunities to work in these areas as well.
We are currently looking for a junior qualified lawyer to join our Structured Products Group in the London office. You would typically act on some or all elements of a structured products offering from term sheet stage, through to closing and post-closing. Your specific areas of responsibility will initially be to produce initial drafts of agreements, draft and negotiate structured product documents and ensuring a smooth process to transaction close. You will also likely get involved in programme updates, proprietary index rules, OTC derivatives, and various regulatory matters.
You would be expected to assist in projects that have been assigned to you and liaise closely with colleagues, clients, counterparties and other advisers.
We have a strong learning and development programme and also provide structured supervision and on-the-job training for junior lawyers. You would be working as part of a committed, inspired and friendly team that enjoys its work and is a leader in its field of practice. All members of the team have frequent client contact.
* Drafting of legal documents and agreements;
* Review of legal documents and agreements;
* Contributing to department know-how;
* Advising clients and preparing formal legal opinions;
* Matter completion and post-closing work;
* Depending on level, supervising trainees and/or paralegals in the team;
* Developing relationships with our clients is important at every level, and you would be encouraged to do so.
Essential skills and experience:
Post qualification experience in international finance transactions of the types referred to above, with a reputable international law firm.
* Experience of structured products is ideal;
* Experience in any of DCM, funds, deposits and derivatives will be useful;
* Good organisational skills and experience in transaction management;
* Excellent academic track record;
* Enthusiasm for intellectually stimulating cross-border work; and
* Excellent client relationship skills and experience of business development.
Opening date Wednesday 16 January 2019
Closing date Wednesday 13 February 2019