11 months ago
levonshires solicitors Solicitor Construction NonContentious 2 yr PQE + The Firm Devonshircs has been based in the City ot London tor more than 150 years. From our offices in London, Leeds and Colchester we provide legal services to clients throughout the UK. We are recognised by Legal 500 and Chambers UK as a mediumsized niche firm specialising in construction, commercial litigation, corporate, employment, projects and property legal services to clients based throughout the United Kingdom.
Our main client base is Registered Providers and the firm is ranked Tier 1 for its work in social housing. Over the past few years, we have grown significantly and now have approximately 230 staff and a growing international reach. The Team Our Construction team is comprised of 10 (four partners, three solicitors, two paralegals and one trainee solicitor) and is divided into two subteams (contentious and noncontentious). About a quarter of our work is noncontentious.
Our clients include developers, major corporations, tunders, contractors, subcontractors, construction consultants, local authorities, registered providers of social housing and PFl consortia. Our work for Registered Providers involves us instructed on some of the largest construction developments in the social housing sector which are often in the spotlight of the national media. Job Role This is an opportunity for an individual with a passion for construction law to join our busy construction department.
We are looking for an ambitious construction solicitor, who is prepared to work hard and go the extra mile, to hit the ground running and make their mark within a thriving construction department. You will be two years PQE + with the majority of experience gained in noncontentious construction but with some contentious experience.
In addition, you will be selfmotivated and have enthusiasm for business development and developing your own practice. Main Duties and Responsibilities of the Role • Responsible for the day to day running of files;
• Capable of drafting clear and concise bespoke provisions;
• Advising on every aspect of construction contracts (e.g. payments, extensions of time, loss and expense, defects, procurement and insurance issues);
• Amending, drafting and advising on contracts (e.g. building contracts, development agreements and agreements for lease, consultant's appointments, plus all supplementary documentation such as security documents, warranties, novations and assignments);
• A comprehensive understanding of the operations and mechanics of the JCT suite of contracts;
• An understanding of asset management contracts is advantageous,
• Interact directly with clients, manage their expectations, always meet deadlines and deliver on every promise;
• Organise and maintain tidy and accurate files both in hard copy and electronically;
• Prepare and deliver seminars and contribute to the department's publications;
• Follow department procedures, the Solicitors' accounts rules and the Firm's policies and procedures as detailed in the Staff Manual, including LEXCEL;
• Undertake such duties and tasks that are appropriate for the role of Solicitor such as changes in information systems and new technology as may reasonably be required;
This is not an exhaustive list and from time to time it may be necessary to vary these to meet the department and business needs.
Attributes and Skills Required • You will have a minimum of two years' PUE noncontentious construction experience
working within the property arena coupled with some contentious experience.
• You will have worked, since qualification, as a fulltime construction solicitor;
• You will have a strong academic background, ideally gaining a 2:1 at degree level and a postgraduate course in construction law will be advantageous;
• You will have a thorough understanding of the Housing Grants, Construction & Regeneration Act 1996, the Scheme for Construction Contracts (England & Wales) Regulations 1998;
• You will be proactive and prepared to work independently and intelligently exercise your own judgment with minimal supervision always adopting a cando attitude;
• You will enjoy client contact and have excellent interpersonal skills;
• You will have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal with experience of preparing bespoke drafting;
• You will have a comprehensive understanding of the JCT suite of contracts and development agreements;
• You will be able to identify key issues in most complex issues, understand the business parameters and reflect that in advice to clients;
• You will be commercially aware, proactive and able to convey clear and concise information to clients and external organisations, which will not compromise the practice or the firm;
• A very high and meticulous attention to detail to produce work / documentation which is consistently of a high standard and accurate;
• To have a flexible approach to work to ensure client deadlines are always met and clients are communicated with on a consistent and regular basis;
• You will be comfortable taking a collaborative and collegiate approach to matters, recognising that one can always learn new skills as well as imparting knowledge to others;
> To be familiar with Word, Outlook, Internet applications, Westlaw and Lexis Nexis. Page 2 0R7/HA 1
Devonshires Solicitors LLP is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and to providing a workplace free from discrimination and harassment. As such all job applicants, employees, partners and third parties who come into contact with us, will receive equal treatment, regardless of age, disability, gender re assignment, marriage and civil partnership, trade union activities, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We welcome applications from groups where we are currently under represented. For this reason we ask thai all candidates complete the recruitment monitoring survey in complete confidence for statistical purposes in order that we can effectively monitor how well our Diversity procedures are working. To review our policies on Diversity Inclusion and Dignity at Work please visit our recruitment pages.