5 months ago
Role Profile Level 3
(Monday to Friday, 9am- 5.30pm)
Litigation, Transaction and Advisory
Litigation London Two
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK 2017, we are immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people.
Our national Litigation team provides litigation and advisory services to the insurance industry and commercial clients. We act on behalf of (re)insurers, professional practices, corporations and regulatory bodies. We have significant experience of working with the construction, financial, broking and legal sectors in particular. Members of our team regularly deal with high-profile and sensitive issues with far reaching implications and litigate cases in which landmark decisions are reached. We resolve disputes via litigation, arbitration, adjudication, mediation and regulatory ombudsman services.
The London Litigation team undertakes a broad range of substantial, challenging and largely contentious work. This role focuses on dealing with claims against insured commercial organisations in the construction and financial industries, such as contractors, engineers, architects, investment managers, insurers, fund managers and financial advisers. Experience of insurance litigation, coverage issues (including PI, D&O, EL/PL and CAR) and a strong grasp of the CPR will be essential.
Main duties and responsibilities
* Management of one’s own caseload, including proactive management of cases with limited supervision
* Assisting the partners and associates with their caseloads
* Advising clients in relation to issues of liability and coverage
* Preparing detailed and technical reports, correspondence and court documents
* Supporting business development initiatives
* Liaising with insurer and insured clients, experts, witnesses, Counsel and other parties
* Achieving set financial and chargeable hours targets
* Ensuring compliance with relevant deadlines, quality measures and key performance indicators
* Compliance with client service level agreements, relevant policies and procedures
* Completion of management information
* Working in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role
The person specification
* Experience of insurance litigation and coverage analysis is essential
* Understanding of commercial insurance policies, the (re)insurance market, reporting arrangements, reserving philosophies, and the relationship between brokers, underwriters/insurers and lawyers
* Previous secondment to or employment with an insurance organisation would be advantageous
* Ability to work to deadlines and targets and work under pressure
* Ability to work as part of a team and on one’s own initiative
* A commercial, solution-drive and client-focused approach
* Strong business acumen
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* Excellent IT skills
Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.