8 months ago
Corporate Criminal Defence
Birketts is a full service, top 100 UK law firm, operating in Cambridge, Chelmsford, Ipswich, Norwich and the surrounding areas.
With a rich heritage spanning over 150 years we’ve built an enviable track record advising businesses, institutions and individuals in the UK and internationally.
Throughout our history our ethos has remained simple: we provide clear legal advice and value and insight to our clients.
We set out to truly understand our clients’ needs and help realise their ambitions.
We believe that through this approach and a combination of technical excellence and high quality service we can develop long-lasting partnerships and become our clients' solicitor of choice.
Our award-winning Corporate Criminal Defence Team comprises 'recognised specialists in regulatory law' offering 'sound advice and value for money' and 'providing a very strong defence to regulatory cases'. Described by clients as “fantastic, always available and experts in their field” Legal 500 [UK 2016], the team represents corporate and individual clients in a wide range of criminal and regulatory matters.
Led by partner, barrister and Deputy Traffic Commissioner Laura Thomas; who is named as a leading lawyer in Legal 500 and recommended by Chambers and Partners, the team has achieved nationwide rankings in Chambers and Partners for health and safety and transport regulatory. In Legal 500 (East Anglia) the team is ranked first tier in health and safety, crime, fraud, transport, environment and licensing and is also band one in Chambers and Partners in crime and licensing (Ipswich and surrounds).
Purpose of job
We are looking for a Solicitor or Barrister to cover a broad range of work across the department proving assistance to the entire team and contributing more widely to the team and its growth. The position will involve work under supervision on a broad range of regulatory and criminal matters involving but not limited to:
* Health and safety
* Trading Standards
* Transport regulatory
* Food law
* Motoring defence
* Private criminal defence
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
* Running and managing files and delegating to trainees and paralegals as appropriate.
* Advising corporate and individual clients on regulatory and criminal matters.
* Defence of proceedings in the criminal courts.
* Advocacy, where appropriate.
* Supporting the team on larger and more complex matters.
* Delivering training and being involved in client investigations.
* Interacting directly with clients and managing their expectations.
* A Solicitor / Barrister of 1 - 4 years PQE + gained within a strong regional or City firm/chambers.
* Strong academic background.
* A high attention to detail to produce work/ documentation which is consistently of a high standard.
* Experience of regulatory and criminal matters.
* To have a flexible approach to work to ensure client deadlines are always met and clients are communicated with on a consistent and regular basis.
* Interest in and aptitude for business development.
We are committed to recruiting individuals on merits of suitability for each role, on the basis of qualifications and experience. All applications are treated fairly and equally regardless of sexual orientation, race, disability, religious beliefs and any other protected characteristic, ensuring that there are equal opportunities at all stages of the recruitment process.