10 months ago
Role Profile Level 3
2 years +
(Monday to Friday, 9am -5.30pm)
Litigation, Transaction and Advisory
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards and achieved several top rankings in Chambers UK 2016, we are immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people.
As part of the Regulatory Department, the Professional Discipline, Governance, Health and Social Care team covers a wide range of disciplines. The team is very diverse, offering a broad range of expert advice to: •individual healthcare practitioners who are facing possible criminal and professional regulatory sanctions, •healthcare clients on issues such as best interest decisions to DPA requests to inquests.
This role has a primary focus on local government work: primarily advising local governments on matters of adult and child social care issues.
We are seeking a Local Government Lawyer to primarily manage a caseload of general adult social services, child protection, education and local government law cases. With our diverse offering, inevitably there will both the scope and need for our lawyers to be involved in work for clients outside of their core caseload. We are seeking someone who is excited about this challenge and will embrace this variety of work.
Key duties and responsibilities
* Specialise in acting on behalf of various local authorities, protecting their interests in matters of adult and child social care issues
* Manage a caseload of general adult social services, child protection, education and local government law cases
* Attend applications and hearings at court, including travel, and accompany counsel where necessary
* Achieve set financial and chargeable targets
* Ensure relevant deadlines, quality measures and KPIs are adhered to
* Comply with relevant policies and procedures
* Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
The person specification
* Qualified solicitor
* Previous child protection and adult social care experience is essential
* General local government law and education experience would be desirable
* Experience of acting for or in a local authority would be desirable
* Excellent organisational and time management skills
* Excellent collaborative and team working skills
* Excellent communication skills
* Excellent IT skills
* Ability to work to deadlines and targets
* Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
* Flexible approach
* Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
* The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
< Back to available positions