about 1 year ago
3 years +
(09:30 - 17:30)
Commercial and Corporate
We are a full service law firm with a diverse client base, and pride ourselves on providing market leading advice across a broad range of sectors and markets. Delivering a first class service is key to everything we do.
Our clients range from some of the UK’s largest businesses and institutions, housebuilders and developers through to investors, professional partnerships, family offices, not for profit organisations and private individuals.
Winckworth Sherwood is an exciting, diverse and growing business. In the last five years we have grown over 40%. Joining our team will see you work with some of the UK’s most interesting clients.
It’s not all about big numbers and high-profile projects, the real success of our business comes from the ability of our teams to provide fantastic service and create long-lasting relationships.
£3 billion - The value of the corporate transactions we have worked on in the past year
£11 billion - The total value of assets held by our top family office clients
350 - The number of senior executives we helped with employment issues last year
13,000 - The number of homes we helped the UK’s largest house builder deliver in the last decade
4 - The number of iconic rail links we’ve been involved in (Crossrail, HS1, the Channel Tunnel and HS2)
With early client engagement you will quickly become confident of your inter-personal skills as well as gaining an expert understanding of the diverse regulatory environment of corporate and commercial transactions.
You will add value to clients with your working knowledge of taxation of corporate, real estate and commercial transactions by working closely with the expanding Tax Department.
Your general corporate-commercial experience will give you the opportunity to develop expert status in a niche area through exposure to the wide range of sectors serviced by the team including public law, corporate transactions, asset management, wealth management and corporate real estate.
There are 9 people in the Commercial and Corporate Department which includes 3 partners, 3 Solicitors, 1 trainee solicitor and 2 support staff.
Client base and type of work
* Corporate acquisitions and disposals for small to mid-range transactions (£5million to £100 million), many of which are real estate related;
* Large scale housing development and finance joint ventures for clients such as Barratt, L&Q, Mount Anvil, A2 Dominion, Redrow and Clarion;
* Acquisition of assets for large institutional asset managers including ground rent funds (in excess of £2.5 billion of acquisition in the past two years) including all aspects of funding, structuring asset acquisition, tax, management and exit including Aviva Investors and M&G Investment Management Limited;
* Advising family offices on the investment structuring, regulation, company secretarial and commercial transactions;
* Broker-Dealer regulation and advice including UK regulatory obligations, on-going structure, loyalty bonus schemes and expansion plans including Imperial Capital, Salix and First Green Capital; and
* More generally, corporate and commercial advice and documentation for a range of corporate clients including family offices, institutional investors, private equity, housing developers and registered social landlords.
Aims of the department
To deliver an expert service providing high quality advice at rates that are highly competitive with the City.
Raise our internal cross-selling profile and opportunities as well as the team’s external profile for corporate, corporate finance, regulatory and complex commercial transactions through quality of service and networking.
Requirements for the role:
* A sound understanding of company, regulatory and contract law principles with the ability to navigate a complex regulatory environment and efficiently distil and provide legal advice in a clear and effective manner;
* To be confident and articulate with exemplary communication skills with clients, superiors, contemporaries and support staff alike;
* Sensible organisation skills and self-motivation to prioritise tasks in a busy practice with competing pressures on large scale transactions over an extended timetable; and
* Meticulous time keeping and financial management.