12 months ago
The Group has for many years been ranked by Chambers Guide in the top band for the Thames Valley in TMT and IP and in Band 4 UK-wide for Media & Entertaining, whilst in Legal 500 it ranks in Band 1 for the South East in each of IT & Telecoms; IP and Media & Entertainment and in Band 2 for corporate & commercial in the Thames Valley.
The group’s partners Mark Blunden and Bill Gornall-King are ranked as leaders in their field.
The Group are looking for an experienced solicitor to join them to backfill a vacancy that has arisen. The candidate will work on a range of issues so a sound knowledge of and interest in digital media, data and IT contracts will be of assistance.
The successful candidate will have previous experience in advising on contractual risk and negotiating contracts with the aim of achieving commercial solutions for clients. That experience will have been gained either in-house or at another highly-regarded commercial law firm where the candidate will have obtained broad experience.
Working with the firm’s blue-chip clients the successful candidate will be self-assured, hard-working and rigorous.
In return the firm will develop the successful candidate’s skillset as a commercial lawyer and broaden their experience.
* Ability to interact effectively with clients and develop client relationships
* Adaptability to meet challenges of constantly shifting client priorities to fulfill their objectives
* Possess excellent legal analysis, drafting and communication skills (both verbal & written)
* Ability to provide clear & concise advice in plain English and to articulate complex legal concepts in a comprehensible manner for lay business people
* Skillset to create solutions to meet client objectives
* Excellent knowledge of contract law
* Ability to work as part of a team alongside other lawyers
* Willingness to work with clients as part of their team
* Keen interest in developments in the law
* Enquiring mind with the desire to expand knowledge of law in context
* Desire to understand how clients’ businesses operate
Our clients include global and international companies with regional headquarters based in the UK or mainland Europe; mid-market UK companies and fast-growing and entrepreneurial businesses.
Many of our clients are in the TMT, transport & logistics and hospitality & leisure sectors. In essence the service sector, although we have some significant manufacturing clients.
For most clients we provide an external counsel resource providing day-to-day advice on contractual negotiations with suppliers and customers. We also undertake project-based tasks and risk assessment/management of proposed contracts.
Much of our work involves drafting; analysing or negotiating commercial agreements. Contract drafting can range from the creation of standard template documents for implementation by a business and their periodic review; the drafting of bespoke contracts or the analysis and negotiation of contracts received from third parties. Many of these agreements will involve transitional transactions. In particular, we provide legal services to the UK/EMEA operating entities of US-owned companies.
With strong TMT connections, we advise on data licensing; data security; data privacy and data protection. We have a strong media and publishing practice. We are well known for the work we do in the field of business process outsourcing; software as a service and hosted solutions, as well as software development and licensing.
Some of our clients are dominant in their marketplace and the ability to analyse and recognize competition law issues and to advise on them, directly or with the support of counsel, is important. We advise businesses on vertical agreements and collaborations to avoid competition law pitfalls.
We advise on and handle the management of all types of intellectual property, the licensing of which underlies most TMT contracts and through our distinct “brand guardianship” service arrange for the protection of trademarks, designs and domain names. We have a dedicated IP litigation team that handles claims of infringement of such rights, e.g. counterfeit goods and breach of confidential information.
We are often called upon to advise on the regulation of business- -to-consumer trading, an area that is currently undergoing massive change. We also advise on agreements relating to consumer & business finance.
In summary, we cover the following:
* Information & Communications Technology
* Digital media & Publishing
* Supply chain contracts (including commercial agents regulations)
* Data protection & security
* Technology contracts (including IP licensing)
* Advertising & consumer protection
* B2B and B2C contract drafting
* Intellectual property