10 months ago
JOB TITLE: 4 years plus PQE Energy & Infrastructure Lawyer
Based in Edinburgh and Glasgow.
The team operates across both cities and the successful candidate will be expected to spend time in both
locations. REPORTING TO: Keith Patterson, Partner and Sarah-Jane McArthur, Partner JOB PURPOSE: We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Solicitor/Associate to join our Energy and Infrastructure team. This
role presents an excellent opportunity to work in a client-facing role in a supportive team, which is top ranked by
Chambers in energy. Whilst previous experience in energy or infrastructure is desirable we are also keen to hear
from applicants who would like to switch into the energy and infrastructure sector.
The central belt team undertakes the firm’s work in the energy, infrastructure and construction sectors and advises
developers, investors, sponsors, lenders and the public sector across of a variety of sectors: power (wind hydro,
solar, tidal and biomass), heat, infrastructure (education, health and transport) and construction (real estate
development and investment).
You can expect to work on a mix of renewable power, heat and infrastructure projects. Due to the breadth of work
that the team undertakes you will work across a number of sectors and we will encourage you to develop your own
areas of expertise. This role presents an excellent opportunity to utilise a wide range of skills and be exposed to
a variety of transactions.
Delivering projects is a team effort and you will work with a number of partners within the team and colleagues
from across the firm in Banking, Corporate, Planning and Real Estate.
We offer a fantastic training programme with clearly defined career paths and our ambitious growth plans offer
significant future opportunities. We also have a range of flexible working options available including excellent
infrastructure to support remote working and working from different offices. CORE TASKS: E&I transactions vary and work assignments will depend upon the specific instructions we have at any one time.
The following are illustrative:
• Advising on developing or bidding for new greenfield projects including setting up joint venture
• Advising on the financing and implementation of new greenfield projects
• Advising of the sale and purchase of greenfield and built and operating assets
• Advising on the operating aspects of built projects including asset variations
• Advising on energy and utilities regulation
• Establishing good working relationships with clients and other departments in Brodies
• Actively involved in the Business Development initiatives of the team and pursuing BD opportunities
with prospective clients on a regular basis
• Supervising and mentoring the work of those less qualified is an essential part of this role
• Preparing industry briefing notes
• Be aware of Brodies’ information security policies, and protect information assets from unauthorised
access, disclosure, modification, destruction or interference at all times. PERSON SPECIFICATION:
• Seeks a long term career in infrastructure/construction
• Self motivated and uses initiative
• Team player and willing to be flexible
• Willing to take the time to understand client business models
• Takes pride in quality of work
• Able to work efficiently and deliver to deadlines
• Willing to take responsibility for delivering client service
• Ability to identify and focus on the important issues
• Willing to contribute to business development
• Takes responsibility for keeping legal and sector knowledge up to date SKILLS:
• Good communicator
• Strong analytical skills
• Excellent writing skills
• Good grounding in legal knowledge
• Good business knowledge
• Able to work efficiently and deliver to deadlines Brodies is committed to equality, diversity & the creation of an inclusive work environment where no partner,
employee, potential employee or job applicant receives less favourable treatment. We value the skills, experience
and perspective that a diverse and representative workforce offers us in terms of our ability to deliver top class
legal services to our clients.