Main Duties and Responsibilities:
This role would be suitable for a Legal Executive or Solicitor who has experience in site set-up on new build schemes with particular emphasis on private residential development housing sector.
The role will involve:
· Advising the client during the site set-up process on any legal or technical issues which will impact upon sales and attending site set-up meetings with each client, their technical and sales staff and managing agents (where appropriate) to discuss the detail of each new site and a timetable for producing the plot sales documentation.
· Drafting sales documentation including the draft contracts, transfers, leases and the Preliminary Information Sheets to be issued to plot purchaser’s solicitors and reviewing and updating the documentation during the sales process.
· Updating and reviewing the precedents used by the plot sales team to accommodate changes in legislation or required by the Consumer Code for House Builders
· Using the plot team’s case management system to upload the sales documentation for use by the plot team and undertaking handover meetings with the Plot Conveyancer so that he/she understands the development and any issues which may hinder sales.
· Dealing with routine conveyancing transactions including deeds of easement, transfers of substations, public open space and negotiating infrastructure agreements required in connection with each site.
· Being available to answer technical and client procedure queries from the rest of the team and generally trouble shooting queries from clients.
· Instructing the Corporate Department with regard to the incorporation of any Management Company required in connection with each new development.
· Seeking the approval of the Land Registry to the Plot Plans and Plot Documents and negotiating any amendments with the client and the Land Registry to ensure that they are approved prior to the sale of any plot.
· Negotiating and completing management agreements with professional managing agents appointed to manage the development schemes and liaising with the managing agents to agree a procedure for the payment of service charge on completion of any plot sales if such procedure is not in place.
· Liaising with third party solicitors with regard to the procedure for obtaining discharges of registered charges, satisfying title restrictions or dealing with payments pursuant to overage provisions upon completion of each plot.
· Dealing with the transfer of any public open space pursuant to any S106 Agreement.
· Preparing a handover note and undertaking handover meetings with the Plot Conveyancer so that he/she understands the development and any issues which may hinder sales.
· On completion of each development, reviewing the development to identify any post sales issues (including the transfer of areas to a Management Company, transfers of sub-stations).
· Generally trouble shooting issues that arise during the plot sales process.
You should have:
· Experience in residential conveyancing and new build transactions would be an advantage
· Experience of handling a high number of your own files and of dealing with clients first hand, performing to clients’ service level agreements and managing their expectations.
· You will need to be highly organised and efficient and able to work in a fast paced environment.
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment and believes in equality of opportunity regardless of gender, age, race, colour, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, disability or sexual orientation.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone's potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.