4 months ago
Fieldfisher is a European law firm with market leading practices in many of the world's most dynamic sectors. We are an exciting, forward-thinking organisation with a particular focus on technology, finance & financial services and energy & natural resources.
Our growing European network of offices supports an international client base alongside our Silicon Valley, Beijing and Shanghai teams. Among our clients, we count social media sites and high street coffee chains through to pharmaceutical, life sciences and medical devices companies, energy suppliers, banks and FTSE 100 companies.
Clients choose to work with us because we deliver commercial, pragmatic and innovative solutions through our exceptional legal expertise and experience, on time and on budget.
We have more than 600 lawyers spread over nine locations, all providing highly commercial advice based on an in-depth understanding of our clients' needs. We operate across our offices in Amsterdam, Brussels, China, Paris, Germany, Italy, UK, and the US - Silicon Valley. In the UK, we have approximately 700 people working in the London, Manchester and Birmingham.
The firm is growing rapidly and its revenue for 2016/17 was £165 million. The UK accounts for approximately 70% of the headcount.
We were the fastest growing UK law firm last year with 2016/17 revenue of £165 million and were named Law Firm of the Year at the British Legal Awards 2017.
Due to a key role change within the team, the introduction of a new ERP and accounting system and the increased demand on the Finance team after a period of significant growth for the firm, there is an immediate requirement for a strong and experienced Management Accountant to join the team. The primary role will be to assist in the production of monthly Management Accounts, firm wide key performance Indicators, budgeting, VAT returns and other ad-hoc management reporting as well as supporting with year-end Statutory Accounts.
The role will sit within the accounts department in our London office.
Control the monthly consolidated management accounts process liaising with UK and International accounting colleagues as appropriate.
* Prepare monthly Management Packs including P&L’s, cash-flow and balance sheets.
* Ensure all GL control accounts are reconciled.
* Ensure all accruals and prepayments are accurately recorded.
* Allocation of overhead costs to business units.
* Review all other journals processed.
* Intercompany reconciliations between all offices.
* Completion of quarterly VAT returns.
* Review the month end process and ensure completed accurately.
* Review Management Accounts and key variance reports.
* Ensure accurate distribution of Management Accounts.
* Ensure ad-hoc reporting agrees to monthly financial data.
* Assist with year-end financial accounts.
* Implement key financial and reporting processes where necessary.
* Develop working relationships with Business Managers and Lead Partners.
* Assist with Budget and Forecast preparation.
* Handle and resolve complex management accounts queries.
* Support the firm’s working capital team to supply client specific analysis on a timely basis.
* Working closely with the firm’s Finance Systems Team to enhance and improve the firm’s reporting.
* Other ad-hoc financial work.
* Liaise with firm’s auditors and with other key functions of the firm when required.
Key Skills & Experience
* Proven experience of working as a Management Accountant within a Law Firm producing Consolidated Management Accounts and monthly financial reporting.
* Must be suitably qualified with an accounting body being ACA, ACCA or CIMA.
* Experienced with Microsoft Office (particularly Excel including use of macros) and good exposure to IT finance systems and alternative reporting packages.
* Experienced with producing quarterly VAT returns.
* Good experience of seeking and implementing ways to improve on current practice.
* Must have a conscientious, accurate and methodical approach to work.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills, e.g. articulate when communicating to partners and key staff, and able to present financial results to the function and wider business.
* Can demonstrate strong relationship building skills with ability to deal with partners, fee earners and clients at all levels.
* A team player with a flexible and pro-active approach to work with the ability to work autonomously.
* Attention to detail.
* Excellent planning and organising skills – able to handle multiple tasks.
* Shows commitment to the role and team.
* Pro-active mentality.
* Displays a willingness to learn and actively seeks new work and challenges.
* Takes personal responsibility for maintaining personal development.
* Professional and credible in attitude and appearance.
* Prepared to work overtime during peak periods.