2 months ago
Knowledge plays a critical strategic role at Norton Rose Fulbright, ensuring that every client in every matter benefits from the collective knowledge and experience of the whole organisation. Senior management are committed to the vision of making the contributing and sharing of knowledge a core part of the firm’s culture and every person in it, in the belief that how we use our knowledge is key to business growth and client care.
Norton Rose Fulbright has a team of knowledge professionals dedicated to the standards, sharing and systems that will help us achieve this goal across the whole organisation. This includes knowledge lawyers, knowledge managers, library and information experts and systems specialists.
We are now looking for a data protection -[Senior Knowledge Lawyer to work in the London team but also to interact with the global data protection group (in particular the European team) and more widely within Norton Rose Fulbright LLP.
The Senior Knowledge Lawyer position reports directly into the Head of the European Data Protection Group who is located in London, with a reporting line to the Head of Knowledge, EMEA.
* Acting as a sounding board for lawyers to discuss the legal issues which they face across a broad range of data protection and information law matters, including the application of the data protection rules in the context of new technologies, regulated and unregulated environments and where data is shared globally
* Tracking current legal and technological developments and informing the team and our clients (including by way of blog posts) of important new developments
* Maintaining existing precedents and drafting new precedents, including policies and contractual privacy terms and conditions
* Reviewing existing practice notes and similar materials, and drafting new practice notes, including from scratch in complex areas of data protection law
* Providing knowledge support to business development initiatives, including in the key industry sectors and key client initiatives of Norton Rose Fulbright
* Preparing and delivering legal training to associates, partners and clients as part of a structured programme tailored to suit the team’s / client’s needs
* Drafting material for external or internal publications and identifying topics of interest
* Feeding into the knowledge team’s know-how strategy and implementing such strategy by promoting the use of internal databases and by implementing a process for data privacy knowhow collection (research notes, transactional documents, training material etc)
* Helping to promote the collection and dissemination of knowledge to and from London in relation to the global data protection group, including by acting as a knowledge liaison point in relation to the global group
Skills and Experience Required
* Qualified lawyer with significant legal experience in data protection law, operating at a senior level
* Good understanding of key data protection environments and related initiatives (ad tech eco-system and financial eco-system in particular; life sciences and health tech ideally too*)
* Experience in drafting data protection polices, templates and related agreements in plain language
* Experience in designing and delivering successful, interesting and innovative training, targeted to the audience
* Ability to work with a variety of personalities across all levels of the organisation
* Experience, or interest, in the collation, storage and delivery of knowledge
* Project management experience and demonstrated creativity in problem solving
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Excellent legal research skills
* Experience of using knowledge collaboration sites*
(*Desirable but not essential)
Competencies (see competency framework for further details)
* Exceptional organisational skills with an ability to demonstrate initiative and flexibility adapting to changing priorities
* Strong client focus and demonstrated commitment to outstanding service delivery
* Ability to work under pressure, both autonomously and as a team member
* Strong IT skills and familiarity with document management software and with use of knowledge systems
Norton Rose Fulbright we welcome receiving direct candidate applications via our careers page.
If you would like to ask any specific questions beforehand, please contact Heather Steele at Heather.Steele@