3 months ago
Simmons & Simmons
£55000 - £65000 Per Annum
Any or N/A
Category: Legal HR Jobs
Simmons & Simmons currently has an exciting opportunity for a Secretarial Manager to join the Human Resources team in London. This role leads the performance management, structure and development of the Secretarial Coordinators, Secretaries, Junior Secretaries and Team Administrators (“the team”) in London, Bristol and Dublin, building and developing existing skills and continuously improving the service by driving through change, accountability and performance improvements.
The main purpose of the role is to be a strong and positive role model and leader for the team; enhancing the firm's use of the function and the attitude towards and perception of the team; motivating and engaging the team to consistently operate at a higher overall level to ensure that Partners, fee earners and clients receive a professional, efficient and high quality secretarial service. This role will suit someone who has strong team management experience and is confident in dealing with Employee Relation issues with a thirst for developing individuals and delivering a high quality service.
Main duties and responsibilities:
* Day to day line management of the team (supported by the Secretarial Coordinators), ensuring that Partners and fee earners are supported to a high standard by effectively managing the performance, workflow and resources accordingly.
* Ensure a fair and consistent approach is being applied in relation to the firm's processes and procedures; providing guidance to Group Heads in decision making and an escalation point for any team issues arising within their practice group.
* Take responsibility for manpower planning and retaining an appropriate level of resourcing to meet internal and external client needs, cultivating a flexible service with resources being efficiently used across groups when necessary.
* Liaise with other Business Services functions so as to understand link with the secretarial service, and communicate and provide information to teams by relevant methods.
People management, development and leadership
* Manage performance of the team; including setting expectations and objectives, providing feedback and measurement to support this.
* Develop, manage and motivate the developing role of the Secretarial Coordinators, and assist them in the development of their people management skills and workflow.
* Take responsibility for the annual/mid-year performance and salary review processes and ensure a consistent approach is taken through leading the Partner moderation process for the team.
* Establish appropriate training and development priorities for the team to ensure that client and fee earner needs are met; continuously up-skilling with technical/business skills knowledge and training.
* Plan, develop and implement strategy for staff training and development; establishing and maintaining appropriate systems for measuring and monitoring achievements against timescales.
* Determine and plan manpower requirements, including cross group secondments and re-deployments, flexible working requests etc, with the overall aim of increasing flexibility and mobility amongst the secretaries and team administrators.
* Work closely with HR Advisory and Resourcing teams to recruit and retain the best team members, to give them appropriate training and to support their career development.
* Work with the team to manage allocations, secretarial capacity and utilisation, encouraging teamwork and flexibility within and across practice groups.
* Determine the firm's needs for delivery and user expectations of a quality secretarial service; adapting and delivering change management programs in line with changing requirements and the firm's Business Plan.
* Encouraging staff at all levels to retain “ownership” of changes and see them as a positive contribution to their work.
* Review, implement and improve processes and systems where necessary to ensure that the secretarial team is working as efficiently as possible.
* Develop and maintain a strong network across practice groups, business services and externally in order to keep the secretarial function responsive to changes in the business and in order to learn and to share best practice.
* Previous experience of managing a busy secretarial team.
* Minimum of 5 years' experience in a professional services environment preferable
* Experience in a partnership and/or working as a legal secretary would be advantageous.
Management and developmental skills
* Operational management experience is essential; in particular the ability to manage HR and performance management issues.
* Able to effectively manage a diverse and inclusive team, and support the career development of individuals.
* Advanced understanding and knowledge of secretarial roles and services.
* Exceptional writing and editing skills, with demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely and write clear and precise reports, procedures and processes.
Here at Simmons & Simmons
We believe our people define us. Our working environment is genuinely collegiate with a supportive atmosphere and team ethos : we have a reputation for being a friendly culture which we are very proud of. Flexible working, an inclusive and diverse culture, our innovative approach and being truly international are just a few more things that make us, us.
Below are a few more reasons to consider Simmons & Simmons for your next career move:
* Competitive benefits package
* International offices including: Hong Kong; Lisbon; Dubai; Tokyo; Dublin; Milan; London; Madrid; Singapore to name a few
* Free fruit for staff members
* Generous employee referral bonus program
* All year round dress down
* We have recently launched ‘Pathways to Progression' : all about encouraging & enhancing future female talent in the firmAll offices have their own artwork collections : we have a Damien Hurst and a Tracey Emin in the London office
* We were ranked as a Stonewall Top Global Employer and a Stonewall Star Performer in 2017
We are not engaging with agencies for this role so please apply directly via the website for this position.
27 days ago
only 1 day until close
26 days ago
only 2 days until close
25 days ago
only 3 days until close