12 months ago
As one of the leading global law firms, we undertake the most important and challenging assignments for the world's leading companies, financial institutions and governments, helping them to achieve their objectives by solving their most complex and important legal issues.
Successful project delivery is essential to support the implementation of the firm’s strategy, and ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of the partnership and Business Services.
The role of the Project Services team is to ensure that:
* the firm’s investment spend on projects and initiatives delivers maximum return on such investment (consistent with applicable scope, budget and time constraints);
* projects are set up for successful delivery and, subsequently, well-managed;
* project risks are well-controlled; and
* change impacts are anticipated, communicated and implemented in such a way as to minimise disruption to the firm’s business.
The Project Manager role is focused on the successful delivery of specific projects across all functions and all geographies of the firm. Responsibilities include:
* leading the work to scope, structure and plan different projects on behalf of practices/functions and, thereafter, manage delivery of requirements to plan and within budget from set-up to close (reporting to the Project Sponsor, and with responsibility for the work of project team members);
* working with the Head of Project Services to ensure proper governance, control and monitoring of such projects;
* provision of ad hoc consultancy advice and assistance to other projects (e.g. in relation to change management, budgeting, communications, implementation); and
* supporting the building of the firm’s project management capability (e.g. via training or other best practice initiatives).
Typical projects may include:
* Technology enabled change projects e.g. introducing new Document management systems, advanced learning technologies, client relationship management tools
* Organisation design projects e.g. restructuring of functions, establishment of shared service centre operations for Business Services (back office)
* Merger and alliance projects e.g. establishing alliances with other law firms or opening new offices
* Strategy development / policy projects e.g. implementation of new practice / sector related strategies
* Business performance / process improvement projects e.g. implementation of desktop tools and technology, initiatives to support greater function or practice integration / collaboration
There is no operational budget responsibility associated with the role, however, the Project Manager will be responsible for the design of and adherence to project budgets which may range from £100k to £2.5m spend, and will be accountable to the Project Sponsor and Head of Project Services for the management of all budgets assigned to their projects.
There is no direct headcount responsibility although there will be a requirement to build and co-ordinate multi-skilled teams appropriate to the delivery of a project to requirements, on time and within budget. These teams may be made up of other project managers, staff seconded into the Project Services function from other functions, and/or external project managers, contract staff, and/or supplier staff, who are working with the Project Services Project Management Team on current projects.
Key responsibilities and challenges
* To provide leadership to project teams.
* To engage and lead senior stakeholders successfully, with a view to ensuring projects get the required support to deliver objectives.
* To support the Head of Project Services with the alignment of projects to the strategic goals of the business, including – where necessary – making and communicating difficult and/or unpopular decisions.
* To manage multi-skilled teams to ensure the successful delivery of projects to an agreed scope, within budget and to time.
* To manage diverse internal and/or external resources, including remote, part/full time roles.
* To manage the expectations and interests of multiple project stakeholders.
* To advise the practice and Business Services (functions and geographies) on project management and delivery.
* To provide specialist advice on one or more key project management skills / disciplines (e.g. change management, implementation, project risk analysis).
4. Strategic advice
* To support the work of the Business Services management team by providing operational advice about how business transformation can be effectively implemented.
* To work with the other members of the Business Process teams to manage dependencies and remove obstacles to successful delivery of programmes of change.
5. Best practice
* To work with the Project Management Office support to create, maintain, and enforce appropriate policies, standards and procedures for managing projects at Linklaters (including, for example, preparation of business cases, budgets and project plans, progress reports, testing and training plans, risk and issue logs, communications plans and ongoing support and maintenance documentation).
Characteristics, skills and experience
* Commutable distance from London
* Willingness to undertake visits to other Linklaters offices globally
* Track record of delivering projects / programmes to time, cost and scope
* Commands respect, and able to manage high performers
* Persistent and resilient
* Progressive and proactive
* Flexible and able to cope with changing priorities
* Team player, and sensitive to team dynamics
* Clear thinking and tenacious in achieving objectives
* Not easily diverted or distracted
* Makes good decisions under pressure
* Inclusive style, good communicator at all levels
Education / Qualification
* A suitable degree, relevant professional qualification (e.g. PRINCE2 or APMP), and experience in a similar role
* Native English speaker; or a fluent English speaker, with excellent English written skills
Practical experience and business skills
* 2-3 years’ experience of delivering large scale, multi-functional, multi-geography projects within a world-class organisation
* Specialist knowledge of one or more relevant project management skills / disciplines (e.g. change management, risk analysis)
* Track record of delivering projects on-time, on-scope and on-budget
* Experience in overcoming “barriers to progress”, and reaching mutually acceptable outcomes with multiple difficult stakeholders
* Strong knowledge of project management techniques and methodologies
* Strong report writing and presentation skills
* Highly competent user of Microsoft desktop tools