2 months ago
Founded by Victor Mishcon in a one-room office in Brixton in 1937 we now have offices in London and New York, employ more than 800 people, with over 500 lawyers offering a wide range of legal services to companies and individuals. In every area of the law that we operate, Mishcon de Reya prides itself in providing a best in class service to its clients. Specifically we offer the following legal services: corporate; dispute resolution; employment; family; private client; and real estate. An entrepreneurial spirit - where candour and involvement are key - characterises our ability to develop and execute the strategies required to achieve our clients’ goals in all these areas. We are an independent firm with an international footprint that extends far beyond our offices in London and New York.
At Mishcon de Reya, our heritage in private client work is at the heart of our firm. Historically, the private client focus has been on tax and estate planning, trust and succession disputes, and family. Mishcon Private brings together these areas while, at the same time, broadening the practice to include reputation protection, immigration, family office management, fraud defence, residential property and art. Our clients include wealthy individuals and families and range from the high profile to the very discreet. The team at Mishcon Private comprises litigators, media law experts, art, tax and immigration specialists, and is highly experienced at dealing with family disputes and complex multi-jurisdictional cases.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
* Assisting with the administration of Estates (“probate”) across the department to include co-ordinating the valuation of assets, identifying liabilities, preparation of oaths and applications for grants, collecting in assets and paying liabilities, payment of legacies and distributing the estate to the beneficiaries.
* Preparation of Wills and related documents.
* Preparation of Powers of Attorney.
* Preparation of other legal documents as required.
* Attending client meetings, completing file notes, file opening, initial compliance checks, preparation of client retainer letters.
* Prioritising workload and maintaining accurate records of time spent on activities.
* Compliance with all departmental systems and policies such as e-filing, probate procedures and the standard probate spreadsheet.
* Preparing briefing notes/packs for client meetings.
* Obtaining information using the internet and various market data applications.
* Creation and running of reports using a variety of different systems.
* Maintaining Excel-based databases.
* Typing and amending attendance notes, letters, faxes presentations and other documents as required, using Microsoft Office and the Document Management System (DMS).
* Regularly, frequently and accurately maintain and update correspondence and other filing.
* Maintain confidentiality in respect of those matters which are commercially sensitive or secret and only share them with colleagues and others on a need to know basis.
* Type letters, memos and reports and to prepare signed correspondence for despatch.
* MQ² administration – file opening and closing, retainer letters and conflict checks.
* Researching, analysing and interpreting general business periodicals and professional journals, annual reports etc.
* Liaising with clients in a timely, professional and courteous manner
* Liaising with other departments where required.
* Maintaining client contact details on CRM (Interaction) database.
* Photocopying, faxing and filing.
* Assist with the preparation of monthly bills.
* Checking for monies on account to see whether bills have been paid.
* To work under pressure to meet deadlines.
* Providing support as required by the fee-earners and working with other paralegals/ppas in the Department.
* Knowledge of working in a private client department strongly preferred;
* Enthusiasm for private client work.
* Educated to at least degree level.
* Excellent attention to detail.
* Excellent organisational skills.
* Ability to effectively manage own workload.
* Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
* Personable and confident, able to build relationships with partners/ key stakeholders.
* Resilient and calm under pressure.
* Adaptable and flexible approach.
* Pro-active and takes initiative.
* Proficiency in MS Packages including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet Explorer. Experience with Document Management Systems is an advantage.
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You may be required by your line manager to take on additional responsibilities when requested.
Diversity & Inclusion lie at the heart of our core values. At Mishcon de Reya, our aim is to promote and foster a culture which embraces diversity, respect for the individual and the expression of talent, to empower individuals to fulfil their, and the firm’s, potential. In order to support this, we recognise the importance of flexible and agile working and are open to having conversations on how this could work for you and our business.
#LI-LEGAL #LI-ENTRY #LI-ADMIN