5 months ago
PurposeA fantastic opportunity for an experienced Private Client Personal Assistant to provide high quality, proactive and professional support to fee earners in the Tax and Wealth Planning area of our Mishcon Private Department.
Reports to Partner, Head of Group
HR Contact Emma Tomlinson
Founded by Victor Mishcon in a one-room office in Brixton in 1937 we now have offices in London and New York, employ more than 700 people, with over 400 lawyers offering a wide range of legal services to companies and individuals. In every area of the law that we operate, Mishcon de Reya prides itself in providing a best in class service to its clients. Specifically we offer the following legal services: corporate; dispute resolution; employment; family; private client; and real estate. An entrepreneurial spirit - where candor and involvement are key - characterises our ability to develop and execute the strategies required to achieve our clients’ goals in all these areas. We are an independent firm with an international footprint that extends far beyond our offices in London and New York.
At Mishcon de Reya LLP, our heritage in private client work is at the heart of our firm. Historically, the private client focus has been on tax and estate planning, trust and succession disputes, and family. Mishcon Private brings together these areas while, at the same time, broadening the practice to include reputation protection, immigration, family office management, fraud defence, residential property and art. Our clients include wealthy individuals and families and range from the high profile to the very discreet. The team at Mishcon Private comprises litigators, media law experts, art, tax and immigration specialists, and is highly experienced at dealing with family disputes and complex multi-jurisdictional cases.
* To provide comprehensive support to several fee earners (as well as others as and when required).
* Organising and categorising a wide range of papers relating to the financial affairs of deceased persons.
* Liaising and corresponding with institutions with which deceased persons have been involved (such as banks and utility companies).
* Assisting with the wide variety of Probate administration including first drafts of standard letters of authority, to proactively contribute and move the matters forward.
* To provide all aspects of general administrative support including, but not limited to, diary management, travel planning, expenses, maintenance of calendars, contact lists, management of client files and folders, filing, photocopying, arranging couriers and updating contacts on Interaction.
* Administrative duties including maintenance of the client database, opening case files, file maintenance and archiving, sorting incoming and outgoing post;
* Proactive and advance monitoring of fee earner diaries, reminding fee earners of diary commitments and taking responsibility for ensuring that they have all supporting paperwork and information for each meeting or appointment;
* Maintain extensive and complicated billing records, prepare billing guides and assist with the monthly billing process, liaise with credit control regarding outstanding / unpaid bills. Also maintain and update Client Matters and numerous spreadsheets.
* Overseeing and prioritising incoming email, post and voicemail when fee earners are out of the office, acknowledging receipt and responding on behalf of the fee-earner, if appropriate.
* Prepare and type, proofread and amend documents, either from dictation, general instruction or by personal drafting. Documents will include letters, reports, attendance notes, memos, faxes, and emails, ensuring that all copies (electronic and paper) are retained and filed accurately.
* Any other reasonable administrative duties such as faxing, filing, scanning, emailing and photocopying or duties directed by the Group Head.
* Opening and closing of files including completing conflict checks, preparation of client engagement letters, collating all the relevant information required and updating client files regularly.
* Ensuring documents and records are stored appropriately, including ensuring filing and e-filing is up to date and accessible
* You will be the first point of contact for clients and have regular communication with them (taking messages, arranging meetings etc.), so should demonstrate professionalism, diplomacy and sensitivity in all your communications;
* Liaising with support departments to resolve problems on fee-earner's behalf, taking ownership of the issue and following up where appropriate.
* You may also be involved in other administrative activities both for your fee earners and others as required, including helping other administrators and personal assistants/secretaries during busy periods, and to cover absences from work.
* Managing communication with numerous internal and external constituencies.
* Orchestrating meeting arrangements with colleagues and external parties including coordinating external visits and conference calls.
* Coordinating domestic and international travel logistics.
* Preparing documents and presentation materials in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
* Preparing briefing notes/packs for client meetings.
* Obtaining information using the internet and various market data applications.
* Creation and running of reports using a variety of different systems.
* Maintaining Excel-based database
* Previous strong PA experience in a top Private Client Firm is essential;
* PA experience within Probate is particularly desirable;
* A "can do" attitude and willingness to take on additional tasks and assist others when required;
* Ability to work with all levels of management and handle all responsibilities with a high level of diplomacy, discretion and professionalism;
* Excellent organisational and administrative skills;
* Ability to work under pressure, prioritise, multi-task and balance various work requests;
* Ability to work in a fast-paced and demanding work environment;
* Excellent attention to detail with a near perfect standard of accuracy;
* A self-starter with good degree of common sense;
* A systematic and methodical working style - able to establish and develop efficient business processes;
* Excellent audio-dictation skills, with a minimum typing speed of 70 wpm;
* An expert in the use of IT including MS Office packages, specifically PowerPoint, Excel & Word;
* Ability to learn the business and relevant policies and procedures;
* Demonstrable potential to be strong and positive role model for business support;
* Willingness to understand the commercial imperatives of the business/Department and the Firm as a whole;
* Languages skills desirable, but not essential.
Diversity & Inclusion lie at the heart of our core values. At Mishcon de Reya, our aim is to promote and foster a culture which embraces diversity, respect for the individual and the expression of talent, to empower individuals to fulfil their, and the firm’s, potential. In order to support this, we recognise the importance of flexible and agile working and are open to having conversations on how this could work for you and our business.