about 1 year ago
* Professional Careers
* Pensions Lawyer
What sort of person we’re looking for
We are looking for a pensions lawyer who is at least 5 years pqe to join our renowned pensions team. Our new recruit must be technically strong but able to provide with an ability to provide pragmatic and commercial advice.
What we can offer
Pensions is a core practice area for Walker Morris, to which we are fully committed for the long term. The team is led by Partner Jo Ratcliffe who is recognised by leading independent commentators and guides to the profession. Jo is supported by three directors who are well-known in the pensions market. The team as a whole is regarded as one of the leading pensions teams in the North of England.
Our practice is mainly focussed on advisory work (mostly for trustees of defined benefit schemes) although we support our corporate team on transactions. We also provide pensions advice on corporate transactions for a number of US law firms who do not have UK pensions capability. Our clients include pension schemes of all sizes from £1.5bn to £20, many of these are household names. Examples of the team’s recent work includes:
* Advising the trustees of a scheme in connection with a Pensions Regulator investigation into the scheme’s governance.
* Unwinding an asset-backed funding arrangement.
* Advising the trustees of a scheme in connection with an innovative contribution arrangement and obtaining Regulator consent.
* Re-documenting a scheme where the current rules do not set out many of the benefits provided in practice.
* Advising on the sale of a division of a FTSE250 company where a number of employer debts were triggered in relation to the defined benefit pension scheme.
* Advising on the restructuring of a section of the Coal Pension Schemes.
We also work closely with other teams across the firm including HR, Commercial Dispute Resolution, Banking and Insolvency. As you can see, the range of work is wide so we can offer you an unusual breadth of work which obviously offers the chance to develop your commercial and legal skills. We can also offer lots of support and training in the role, but also a work life balance.
We can accommodate part-time working and agile/remote working for those who may be based further afield.