2 months ago
The wider team is made up of four practice areas: capital markets, derivatives, securitisation/structured finance and corporate trustee. The derivatives team advises investment banks, fund managers, corporates and hedge funds on the entire spectrum of market-standard documentation and product types; complex collateral structures; OTC and exchange-traded derivatives; structured and securitised derivatives; repos and securities lending; insurance and alternative risk-transfer products; and Shariah-compliant structures.
A rare opportunity to join the London office of a premier firm as a part-time knowledge lawyer specialising in derivatives. The role will allow a collaborative team player to work alongside other knowledge lawyers in a wider know-how community as part of a fast-paced, intellectually rigorous team in a busy, structured, supportive and dynamic environment. The role will involve:
* Tracking legislative, regulatory, case law and industry developments in derivatives, ensuring frequent feedback on the same to fee earners to help keep them up to date with such
* Acting as a sounding board for lawyers to discuss the legal issues which they face in their transactions and providing assistance to lawyers in their research.
* Attending relevant external association calls / working groups, developing NRF presence therewith, updating fee earners with developments and assisting with the production of papers for such associations if required.
* Providing knowledge support in relation to ad hoc queries from fee earners.
* Providing knowledge support to business development initiatives.
* Assisting with preparing and delivering legal training.
* Drafting high level material for external publications and working with partners and PR to identify topics of interest and likely candidates for
* Feeding into the team’s know-how strategy and implementing such strategy by promoting the use of internal databases and search engines and by devising and implementing systems for know-how collection (research notes, transactional documents, training materials ).
* Briefing fee earners going on client secondments on available know-how resources and be a first point of contact for secondee queries.
* Developing and maintaining links with knowledge lawyers in other relevant departments within the firm (e.g. banking, corporate, restructuring and tax) to ensure that areas of common interest to more than one department are appropriately covered.
Skills and Experience Required
* Qualified experienced mid-to-senior lawyer from a recognised derivatives team. (Previous experience as a knowledge lawyer would be beneficial but is not a pre-requisite for this role).
* Experience of working on derivatives transactions and / or in providing regulatory advice in respect of derivatives transactions.
* Expertise in the derivatives field and an understanding of structured derivatives transactions and/or structured products.
* Self-starter with a desire and ability to continuously acquire, build upon and share knowledge.
* Ability to think laterally and good understanding of what partners and clients require.
* Experience (or interest) in the collation, storage and delivery of knowledge.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Excellent legal research skills.
* Strong academics.
At Norton Rose Fulbright we welcome receiving direct candidate applications via our careers page.
If you would like to ask any specific questions beforehand, please contact Kirran Gill.