The role is to work as a paralegal within the Property Technical team in Bristol.
The role will include:
• Developing your knowledge of all aspects of property-related insurance claims, including policy coverage disputes, product liability, fraud, subrogated recovery claims and liability matters.
• Developing your knowledge of litigation tactics and a sound working knowledge of the CPR.
• Claims handling a variety of litigated and pre-litigated files.
• Task-based discrete activities assisting on claims for other fee earners in the team, including carrying out preliminary investigations and evidence gathering, ensuring technical and expert evidence obtained by insurers and their agents is sufficient to prove causation; obtaining witness statements; and contacting relevant parties to obtain contractual and other relevant documentation.
• Ensuring that the case management system and hard copy files are updated with diary dates as required by the case.
• Assuming responsibility for client protocol compliance both on own files and where working on task-based assignments.
• Handling confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols
• Meeting and exceeding internal targets for time recording and billing.
The candidate should:
• Preferably have a degree in Law (LLB or equivalent) or previous relevant legal experience.
• Knowledge of the litigation process is desirable – either through experience, the LPC or ILEX.
• Be interested in and have a good working knowledge of general contract and tortious principles.
• Be interested in and willing to learn insurance-based property damage law.
• Be interested in and willing to learn the technical aspects of construction and property investigation as required for the role.
• Be change-orientated, with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
• Be IT-literate, with a good knowledge of Microsoft Office and previous knowledge or experience of a case management system advantageous (but not essential).
• Have a willingness to follow a process-driven system, working within set parameters.
• Be team-orientated, with a willingness to share knowledge with and support other members of the team.
• Have an ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to claims settlement