4 days ago
Founded by Victor Mishcon in a one-room office in Brixton in 1937 we now have offices in London and New York, employ more than 900 people, with over 500 lawyers offering a wide range of legal services to companies and individuals. In every area of the law that we operate, Mishcon de Reya prides itself in providing a best in class service to its clients. Specifically we offer the following legal services: corporate; dispute resolution; employment; family; private client; and real estate. An entrepreneurial spirit - where candor and involvement are key - characterises our ability to develop and execute the strategies required to achieve our clients’ goals in all these areas. We are an independent firm with an international footprint that extends far beyond our offices in London and New York.
At Mishcon de Reya LLP, our heritage in private client work is at the heart of our firm. Historically, the private client focus has been on tax and estate planning, trust and succession disputes, and family. Mishcon Private brings together these areas while, at the same time, broadening the practice to include reputation protection, immigration, family office management, fraud defence, residential property and art. Our clients include wealthy individuals and families and range from the high profile to the very discreet. The team at Mishcon Private comprises litigators, media law experts, art, tax and immigration specialists, and is highly experienced at dealing with family disputes and complex multi-jurisdictional cases.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Preparation of legal documents as required. Proofreading and updating documents, using initiative to flag queries.
• Creating court bundles and maintaining register of bundles on active matters.
• Typing and amending attendance notes, letters, faxes presentations and other documents as required, using Microsoft Office and the Document Management System (DMS).
• Regularly, frequently and accurately maintain and update correspondence and other filing, particularly original documents in accordance with the team's practices.
• Maintain confidentiality in respect of those matters which are commercially sensitive or secret and only share them with colleagues and others on a need to know basis.
• MQ² administration – file opening and closing, retainer letters and conflict checks.
• Researching, analysing and interpreting general business periodicals and professional journals, annual reports etc.
• Recording attendance notes of meetings and telephone conferences and typing up detailed note for file.
• Attending court hearings, mediation meetings and telephone conferences with internal team, clients, opponents, experts, court and other parties.
• Paginating exhibits/documents.
• Cross referencing exhibits.
• Obtaining land registry and companies house documents.
• Liaising with clients in a timely, professional and courteous manner.
• Liaising with other departments as and when required.
• Maintaining client contact details on CRM (Interaction) database.
• Photocopying, faxing and filing.
• Assist with the preparation of monthly bills: Reviewing billing guides and highlighting non billable time and discrepancies in time. Reviewing and updating narratives and drafting billing emails/letters. Checking for monies on account to see whether bills have been paid.
• Liaising with clients, opponents, experts, court and other parties by phone.
• Delivering documents to counsel, client and others.
• Ensuring central diary is updated with every new date for the diary.
• Arranging meeting rooms, depositions and video conferencing at court.
• To work calmly under pressure to meet deadlines.
Skills & Attributes
• Educated to at least GDL/LPC level (or equivalent) is preferred.
• Previous Paralegal experience in Commercial Litigation is essential.
• Dynamic and driven with an ability to work independently with initiative, discretion and confidentiality.
• Must have strong organisational skills with a flexible and a ‘can-do’ attitude to work.
• Should be responsive to the changing needs and priorities of the Department.
• Ability to effectively manage own workload and prioritise workload effectively.
• Resilient and calm under pressure.
• Excellent attention to detail with the ability to type quickly and accurately.
• Ability to communicate and build relationships with staff of all levels.
• Proficient with Word, Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
• Candidates should have some experience with copy and audio typing (digital dictation) - with a typing speed of around 60wpm
• Languages skills desirable.
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You may be required by your line manager to take on additional responsibilities when requested.
Diversity & Inclusion lie at the heart of our core values. At Mishcon de Reya, our aim is to promote and foster a culture which embraces diversity, respect for the individual and the expression of talent, to empower individuals to fulfil their, and the firm’s, potential. In order to support this, we recognise the importance of flexible and agile working and are open to having conversations on how this could work for you and our business.