The role is to work as a paralegal within the General Recoveries team. This is predominantly a claimant based role. The successful candidate will initially commence in the General Recoveries team but will be expected to work in any of the teams within Property Risk Solutions.
Depending on workloads in the team the candidate will be asked to undertake:
• General recoveries tasks consisting of predominantly investigatory work on all small claims files with some task based work on fast start and multi track claims;
• Investigating liability on a variety of general recoveries claims, ranging from escapes of water, flooding, impact and fire damage etc.
• Handling their own case load, including negotiating quantum and settlement of damages with third parties
• Task based activities on claims for solicitors, carrying out preliminary investigations and evidence gathering as follows including ensuring the technical and expert evidence obtained by insurers loss adjusters is sufficient to prove causation;
• Obtaining witness statements; contacting relevant parties to obtain salient documents; drafting letters of claim, issuing proceedings, disclosure, instructing Counsel/experts, progressing a file through to Trial.
The candidate will:
• Exercise full compliance with DAC Beachcroft LLP protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrate a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
• Aim to achieve a minimum budgeted annual target of 1440 chargeable hours per year.
• Handle confidential information in line with the firms data security protocols
• Have a minimum of a degree in Law (LLB or equivalent) or Cilex qualification;
• Be interested in and preferably have a basic understanding of general contract and tort;
• Be interested in and willing to learn insurance property damage law;
• Be interested in and willing to learn the technical aspects of construction and property investigation as required for the role
• Be change oriented, with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
• Be IT literate, with a good knowledge of Microsoft Office and previous knowledge or experience of a case management system would be an advantage but not essential.
• Willingness to follow a process driven system, working within set parameters.
• Be team orientated, with a willingness to share knowledge with and support other members of the team.
• Have an ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to claims settlement.
The Property Risk Solutions Group in Birmingham provides solutions to the Insurance property recovery sectors. Our specialist property and recovery team of 3 Partners, 5 Associates and 18 Solicitors and 19 paralegals provides expert and practical advice over a range of areas:
Public Liability / Property Damage claims
• Professional indemnity claims - defending Architects, Surveyors, Engineers etc
• Property subsidence
• Property recovery
• Fraud recovery
• Credit hire recovery
• Motor recovery
The Property Risk Solutions is expanding:
• General property recoveries (fire, escape of water, impact of vehicles into property etc)
• Subsidence mitigation (involving bringing legal proceedings where necessary to mitigate damage to property caused by third party trees, failed foundations, failed underpinning, escape of water etc)
• Motor recoveries (involving recoveries against negligent third parties for causing damage to motor vehicles) and
• Costs involving negotiating legal costs
With over 2,300 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific. We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate. We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
In Chambers UK, A Client's Guide to the Legal Profession 2016, the firm received 59 rankings with a record 36 of our total listings in either Band 1 or Band 2, as well as 116 lawyer listings.
In The Legal 500 2015, the leading guide to law firms in the UK, the firm received a record 111 practice area rankings, including more than 60 in the tier 1 and 2 brackets. The firm is also recognised for its international capabilities in Chambers Asia Pacific, as well as Chambers and Legal 500 Europe and Latin America, with more than 50 additional international leading lawyers listed.
DAC Beachcroft holds certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard, and DAC Beachcroft LLP is the largest law firm in the country to hold a Gold Investors in People award.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.