We are looking for a Paralegal with Residential Conveyancing experience to join our team at our Clifton office initially, but will move to Thornbury office.
Barcan+Kirby is a 17-partner firm of solicitors with a reputation for providing high quality, common sense advice. We offer a comprehensive range of legal services supported by our culture of respect and understanding.
From our six offices located across Bristol and South Gloucestershire, our friendly and approachable teams provide advice and guidance to both individuals and businesses within the South West and nationwide.
The role will be to provide cost effective administrative and secretarial support to the fee earners within the commercial conveyancing department. The firm is looking for a Paralegal to mainly work on new build matters. Career progression and development opportunities are encouraged and considered in the department.
- Provide estimates for new build matters by telephone, email, by post and in person as required
- At all times to exercise high standards of client care in a professional and pleasant manner.
- Undertake certain elements of fee earning work under supervision.
- Interviewing clients, receiving and taking instructions, keeping detailed file notes of instructions received and of advice given and of any other attendances upon clients and other parties.
- Drafting of Contract documentation, obtaining documents from the Land Registry and collating documents to include in the Contract pack
- Order all necessary searches as directed by the Fee Earner
- Preparation and submission of Stamp Duty Land Transaction Returns
- To report to clients and mortgage lenders and help to buy with completed registration documentation and deeds as required
- Deal with routine client enquiries and communications and requests for updates from clients, estate agents, other Solicitors/Licensed Conveyancers and mortgage lenders/brokers
- Maintaining file check lists
- Assisting fee earners with research
- Dealing with email, letter, fax and telephone communications promptly
- Maintaining an adequate and up to date knowledge of the law and practice
- Checking all draft documents
- Notifying a partner/HOD as to any complaints received in respect of work undertaken
- Ensure the confidentiality and security of all of the firm’s and client documentation and information.
- Comply with the Solicitors’ Accounts Rules and the SRA and the CML handbook and the Law Society Conveyancing Protocol.
- Maintain clear and precise communications with other personnel of the firm.
- Ensuring good working relationships with external institutions and organisations.
- Responding promptly and accurately to requests for information concerning case work from Partners, Supervisors and fee-earners.
- To take a lead role in the running of the files by being first point of contact on the telephone and by email.
We offer all staff a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- 25 days holiday (increasing to 28)
- Holiday purchase scheme available – up to 5 days (pro-rata for part-time staff)
- Personal pension plan – matched contribution of 4.5%
- Death in service benefit of 4 x salary
- Discretionary profit and performance-related bonus
- Discounted legal services
- Flexible working arrangements
- Season ticket loans and Cycle to Work scheme
- Annual flu jab vouchers
- Summer and Christmas socials
- Long service awards – after 10 years and every 5 years thereafter
This a full time position working Monday-Friday 9am-5.15pm.