Leigh Day is seeking to appoint a Paralegal to join its highly coveted Human Rights (HR) Department. Bringing together a mixture of public law, civil liberties, discrimination, health and social care expertise, our lawyers act for individuals, groups and organisations across a wide range of legal areas particularly relating to immigration detention, the rights of prisoners, abuse survivors, those with disabilities, health and social care, education and employment and rights relating to the environment.
Key tasks and responsibilities;
• Working with an Associate and team that represents individuals, groups and organisations and routinely brings challenges against public authorities and private bodies in a wide variety of areas involving civil liberties and human rights breaches and in particular in all matters relating to immigration detention.
• Assisting with drafting documents, client liaison, general correspondence and administrative support such as organising legal professionals’ schedules.
• Taking client instructions, instructing experts, liaising with counsel and other solicitors and draft LAA funding applications and claims for costs
• Produce accurate documents from verbal or written instructions.
• Conducting legal and evidential research.
To be successful you must have;
• Highly motivated with a genuine interest in human rights law and passionate about providing justice to access for all.
• Some relevant experience in human rights, public law, judicial review and/or legal aid, CFA and PCOs will be highly advantageous but not essential.
• Demonstrable experience in drafting legal documentation and correspondence, sorting and reviewing financial records.
• Demonstrable ability to build trust and confidence with vulnerable and marginalised client group, interviewing clients and taking witness statements.
• Proven ability to communicate accurately, clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing with a wide range of clients and stakeholders.
• Proven ability to manage tasks independently, organise and prioritise a complex workload and work to tight deadlines whilst maintaining a positive attitude and attention to detail.
This is a Permanent, full-time position based in London.
Please visit our website to download the job description and application form.
Please return the following documents to the email address provided on our website by Sunday 1 December.
• A covering letter stating why you are interested in this role, your salary expectations and applicable notice period.
• A copy of your up-to-date CV.
• The completed application form, (downloadable from our website).
Unfortunately we may not be able to consider applications where this information is not provided.
Valuing diversity is essential to Leigh Day’s on-going success. We are committed to creating a working culture where everyone’s contributions are encouraged and valued and the workplace is free from barriers to inclusion, particularly for those from under-represented backgrounds.
Should you have a disability or long-term condition that requires adjustments to the application or interview process, please contact us, in confidence, to discuss your requirements.
More information about equality, diversity and inclusion at Leigh Day is available on our website.