11 months ago
[Forward to a friend]
(9am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday)
Shoosmiths - UK Law Firm of the Year Winner at the Legal Week British Legal Awards 2015.
A leading UK law firm with a network of offices from the South Coast to Scotland, working together as one national team. An innovative practice and the first top 100 law firm to achieve “Gold Standard” Investors in People, our values and culture are not just words on our website but are the heartbeat of the firm. The lack of barriers between departments, a real lack of hierarchy, zero tolerance for arrogance and pomposity makes Shoosmiths a fantastic place to work.
Our Private Client Practice Group offers excellent service and legal advice and are commited to delivering an amazing client experience for companies in the UK. We all need a lawyer to look after our personal affairs at some point in our lives. Whether it's helping to buy a new home, settling a legal dispute or claiming compensation for a life-changing accident or medical injury, the law protects what is important to us. Today we call our Private Client offering Shoosmiths Access Legal because that's precisely what it does. It gives our private clients access to the law through friendly, approachable people who know that understanding individual need is the first step to making the law work.
Our Clinical Negligence team advises private clients on complaints and claims involving any type of medical negligence.
Access Legal from Shoosmiths offers a full range of personal legal services ranging from simple commoditised matters such as Will writing and conveyancing through to complex matters such as estate management, inheritance tax planning and complex medical negligence claims.You will be responsible for assisting a team of Legal Advisors and assist across the wider Medical Negligence team with Medical Negligence claims with a broad range of values.
The role is based in Birmingham but with some occasional travel across the majority of offices and locations
* Provide a comprehensive case progression service including helping to manage litigation timetables, deadlines, medical reports, appointments, etc
* Assist in evidence gathering to include medical reports, statements, other documentary evidence and experts’ reports.
* To ensure that all work and the collected evidence is properly marshalled and recorded on the file, its source documented with full explanations and clear notes of work done and advice given.
* Take detailed witness statements as required both on and off site
* Research and preparation of legal papers.
* Be available to proactively advise as well as respond to clients and assist others involved in case preparation by telephone and in person
* To develop rapport with client’s witnesses, Counsel and experts thereby assisting in delivering excellent client service
Skills and qualifications
* Degree and LPC or ILEX qualified.
* At least 6 months experience within a legal environment in a similar paralegal role, ideally within clinical negligence or litigation.
* Excellent client care skills.
* Self confidence and ability to demonstrate initiative.
* Good working knowledge of various applications – word, excel, outlook, digital dictation
* Flexible with the ability to adapt to change, new practices and remain calm under pressure and find solutions.
* A methodical and organised approach with keen attention paid to every detail.
* Good organisational skills to ensure that the tasks are effectively scheduled within working time available, and that urgent work is completed and returned within the specified timescales.
Shoosmiths is a committed Equal Opportunities employer promoting equality of opportunity. This means that everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, whatever their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.
< Back to available positions
28 days ago
only 2 hours until close
14 days ago
only 14 days until close
14 days ago
only 14 days until close
11 days ago
only 17 days until close