5 months ago
Department Intellectual Property, Brands
Mishcon de Reya is an independent law firm, which now employs more than 900 people with over 550 lawyers offering a wide range of legal services to companies and individuals.
Based in London with offices in New York, the firm services an international community of clients and provides advice in situations where the constraints of geography often do not apply. The work it undertakes is cross-border, multi-jurisdictional and complex, spanning six core practice areas: Corporate; Dispute Resolution; Employment; Intellectual Property; Private; and Real Estate.
Mishcon de Reya has grown rapidly in recent years, showing more than 80% revenue growth in the past five years alone. In 2015, the firm moved into a purpose designed building on Kingsway, and has converted to both an alternative business structure and LLP.
Mishcon de Reya prides itself on the diverse range of people who make up the firm. The central role played by the Academy, the firm’s in-house place of learning, development and new thinking, and its active and innovative social impact strategy are reflected in its Investors in People Platinum standard.
The services provided by our Brands team encompass the full life cycle of a brand, from creation through to protection and enforcement. We are experts in trade mark and design filing but we go beyond this. We add value to businesses by playing a strategic advisory role – finding the right legal strategy to best support your commercial strategy.
We operate across four key areas – clearance (including acquisition), monitoring, disputes, and domain names – working in tandem with our IP litigation and commercial contracts teams. We have strong relationships with industry bodies across a variety of sectors and work closely with the UK and EU Intellectual Property Offices and the World Intellectual Property Organisation.
Supporting the Head of Brands and other team members, the role requires a high level of organisation, with excellent attention to detail and ability to prioritise a range of competing tasks.
• Coordinating and managing diaries and appointments, including booking rooms, lunches, taxis and other tasks as and when required.
• Managing and coordinating business trips and attendance at conferences and events for the Partner and other team members where required.
• Managing all incoming telephone calls for the Partner.
• Drafting retainer letters.
• Drafting responses to client queries.
• Opening a high volume number of matters.
• Preparing and sending conflict checks as well as managing money laundering documentation.
• Managing and checking dormant client balances and client transfers against bills.
• Managing and taking responsibility for the invoicing process for the Partner's matters. This will include; being responsible for managing disbursements, the timely preparation and dispatch of bills, checking the bills each month and liaising with members of the team and the Accounts team to ensure that the process is completed correctly within the timescales provided.
• Working with other legal operations in the wider IP Department with a view to providing cover as and when required.
• Provide additional support / supervision to more junior members of the team as and when required.
• Regularly review internal processes within the team with a focus on improving efficiencies and streamlining processes.
• To be involved in (and sometimes lead) on Brand-related projects.
• Maths and English GCSE at grade C or above.
• Proven experience of working within a trade mark practice or IP team is highly desirable.
• Good mathematical skills (candidates must be comfortable working with numbers as part of the billing process).
• An ability to demonstrate excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritise and work towards multiple deadlines.
• Dynamic and driven individual with initiative and a ‘can-do’ attitude.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work well under pressure and to maintain professional standards at all times.
• Excellent team-working skills.
• Excellent IT skills: knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Genuine interest to developing a career within a legal environment is essential.
• Willingness to learn.
• Adaptable and flexible approach.
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You may be required by your line manager to take on additional responsibilities when requested.
Diversity & Inclusion lie at the heart of our core values. At Mishcon de Reya, our aim is to promote and foster a culture which embraces diversity, respect for the individual and the expression of talent, to empower individuals to fulfil their, and the firm’s, potential. In order to support this, we recognise the importance of flexible and agile working and are open to having conversations on how this could work for you and our business.