3 months ago
[Forward to a friend]
A leading UK law firm with a network of offices from the South Coast to Scotland, working together as one national team. An innovative practice and the first top 100 law firm to achieve “Gold Standard” Investors in People, our values and culture are not just words on our website but are the heartbeat of the firm. The lack of barriers between departments, a real lack of hierarchy, zero tolerance for arrogance and pomposity makes Shoosmiths a fantastic place to work.
With expert solicitors in England and Scotland, and international links through the exclusive World Service Group, our Family Team are particularly well placed to advise on domestic and cross-border jurisdictional issues.
Whilst the focus of the team is the financial consequences of relationship breakdown, we also provide expert advice regarding issues concerning children.
We work with our clients to achieve a fair and practical solution to what are often complex disputes. Our clients benefit from the early identification of the issues in their case and our strategic approach to removing the obstacles to settlement. Where possible we aim to resolve all matters by negotiation but will take vigorous action when it is in our clients' interest to do so.
Providing a full PA and secretarial service supporting the Head of Department and legal advisors in Milton Keynes whilst also providing assistance to other offices when required. This role requires initiative and proactive thinking to support the needs of the legal advisors and includes but is not limited to the following
* Full diary management.
* Email management.
* File management, ensure files are kept tidy and up to date.
* Collation and sending out of client monthly reports.
* Preparation of draft emails, documents and correspondence for approval.
* Typing reports, file notes and attendance notes.
* Complex document production and amendments.
* Preparing enclosures ready for signing and sending out with the post.
* Opening and closing client files in line with family best practice.
* Undertaking all money laundering compliance on new client inception.
* Undertaking all conflict check compliance on new matter inception.
* Filing and eFiling of incoming and outgoing post and correspondence.
* Preparation of Expense claims.
* Cheque requisitions.
* Undertaking all client filing management and archiving tasks.
* Assist with distribution of post and make enquiries to locate post with no reference, sort post and ensure collection by mailroom by required times.
* Updating Interaction with client contact details.
* Liaising with clients mainly over the telephone.
* Organising meetings, travel arrangements etc.
* Travel booking for legal advisors
* Answering the telephone and dealing with routine enquiries
* Attend any training sessions arranged by the Department at a reasonable request of a Manager.
* Deal with photocopying and scanning of documents.
* Ensure timely delivery of indents to accounts.
* Meet personally with clients when your supervisor is not available and on occasion attend conferences with clients.
* Fully conversant with accounts procedures billing and credit control.
In addition working as the PA to the Head of Family your duties would include:
* Diary management for Head of Department.
* Arranging all travel. To include, flights, trains, hotels, taxis and cars.
* Liaising with SAP and finance team for reports and then producing reports.
* To assist Division Head’s PA with requests.
* To deal with requests from other private client division Heads of Departments, partners and their PA’s.
* To take and prepare department meeting minutes and management meeting minutes.
* Arranging 1-2-1’s and appraisals where appropriate.
* Liaising with PSL re training sessions, updates and invites to department meetings.
* To process credit card and cash expenses.
* To manage client and team expectations with timescales and deadlines for Head of Department.
* To prepare presentations using Powerpoint
* To assist the client relationship manager where appropriate.
* To assist the recruitment manager and the team where appropriate.
* To prepare finance and time reports for Head of Department.
* Liaise as appropriate with team leaders within department.
Skills and qualifications
* Previous legal secretarial experience within Family or similar practice area
* Excellent document production skills in particular within word and excel and, updating complex documents
* Self motivated and able to work without supervision and to a high standard
* Excellent and accurate keyboard skills required, as you will be required to obtain typing speeds to a minimum of 60 wpm.
* Good working knowledge of various applications – word, outlook, excel, digital dictation and Powerpoint.
* Taking care and attention in all correspondence and documentation
* Flexible with the ability to adapt to change, new practices and cope under pressure
* Excellent presentation skills reflected in their work
* A methodical and organised approach with keen attention paid to every detail
* Good organisational skills to ensure that the tasks are effectively scheduled within working time available, and that urgent work is completed and returned within the specified timescales.
* Occasional ability to be flexible to meet the demands of the work
* Friendly and helpful approach to dealing with queries
* Excellent communication skills and telephone manner
* Ability to prioritise, be organised and efficient
* Ability to work under pressure
* Good listening skills
* Able to integrate within a team as well as working on ones own initiative
* Work as part of a team ensuring telephones/lunch cover
* Ability to be pro-active and deliver a quality service to both internal and external clients
Shoosmiths is a committed Equal Opportunities employer promoting equality of opportunity. This means that everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, whatever their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.
< Back to available positions