10 months ago
Do you pride your ability in establishing new client relationships? Our team does too so has an opportunity that might be of interest....
About the role
The firm is committed to growing its revenues in a profitable way and as such requires the Business Development Team to focus on how to target and grow relationships (often from cold) with relevant individuals. The Head of New Business and the New Business Manager are key to supporting partners in making new client relationships and creating new revenue generating opportunities.
You will be responsible for working alongside the Head of New Business to drive new business generation across the firm. You will be a key member of a dynamic business development (BD) team.
Reports to: Head of New Business
Key internal relationships: Widely across the firm but especially: Head of New Business, Senior Bids Manager, Bids Assistant, Business Development Director, Practice Group & Sector Team, Client Service Team, Partners, and other CMS firms.
Why is our New Business so important?
Finding new ways to differentiate our firm, target profitable segments of the market and ultimately win new clients is the key to our ambitious growth plans. The New Business Manager position is central in driving this activity across the firm.
The right candidate will create and manage multi-channel new business campaigns, attend new business meetings and demonstrate leadership and best practice in areas such as pipeline management, sales techniques and proposition development.
This role requires somebody proactive who can motivate themselves and inspire the business.
Our New Business Manager will be given the opportunity to quickly demonstrate their ability as a specialist in winning new business. We commit to giving you the support and coaching you need.
Our open environment will give you the opportunity to work alongside other leading marketing and business development specialists.
Our New Business Manager will be coached and trained at CMS in a way that will:
• Provide them with an opportunity to build their own track record quickly so as to be seen as leader in the business
• Enable them to continue to develop their skills
• Give them a clear understanding of skills required for promotion.
• work with the Head of New Business to identify key campaigns that match our strategic goals
• develop and manage revenue-generating new business campaigns across the firm
• manage a pipeline of new business opportunities throughout the sales lifecycle, from initial target identification through to instruction by the client
• develop and manage multiple telemarketing, online and email campaigns for new products and/or markets
• demonstrate and lead the business in best practice for sales methodology and pipeline management
• provide advice and support to other BD teams who are undertaking targeting in their specific practice groups and teams
• develop and manage processes for identifying and responding quickly to new opportunities
• attend new business meetings with partners to sell our propositions to decision makers from a variety of different industries and international geographies
• maintain a log of all new business activity on the firm’s CRM system for KPI and regular management reporting purposes
• manage relationships and contracts with external service providers (e.g. telemarketers) to deliver best value for the firm – including the efficient management of the new business targeting budget
• foster a proactive sales culture across the partnership.
Bid management and proposition development:
• work with the Head of Proposals on a variety of bids sourced from the new business targeting campaigns
• lead/support Partners on developing winning strategies and propositions for significant pitch opportunities
• project manage end-to-end pitch process supporting the pitch team in delivery of outstanding proposal documents and the compilation of relevant information - often to tight deadlines
• review and edit proposal documents and other materials to add value including drafting of marketing related copy
• coaching and preparation of fee earners prior to scoping meetings and presentation meetings.
Pitch processes and systems (KPIs):
• Monitor campaign success/failure
• Proactive targeting follow-ups and debriefs on introductory meetings
• Pitch/bid conversion rate (target 60%)
• Revenue generated from successful bids
• Positive feedback from partner and fee-earner community on contribution to targeting campaigns
Qualifications & Experience
* Graduate or equivalent
* Developing / managing campaigns
* Proposition / product development
* Experience of creating and managing a pipeline of new business
* Experience of coaching, motivating and leading by example
* Experience of selling to senior level decision makers
* Managing external consultants including telemarketers
* Solid and proven experience in a sales and marketing role ideally within professional services.
Skills & Knowledge
* Business development, sales and telemarketing management – ideally in a commercial legal environment
* Accuracy and attention to detail
* Client relationship management
* Coaching ability/experience
* Commercial acumen
* Negotiation skills
* Able to challenge, yet diplomatic
* Pipeline management
* Able to take a pro-active approach
* Able to rapidly absorb and apply new knowledge and concepts
* Ability to work under pressure, prioritise and handle a number of concurrent projects and tasks
* Resilient, thrives under pressure
* A self-starter
* Strong communicator (both oral and written).
CMS is an international organisation with market leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond.
CMS, Nabarro and Olswang have recently combined to create a truly modern, ambitious, sector driven and technology focused firm for the future. Together we are the 6th largest UK law firm (by UK revenue) and the 6th largest law firm globally (by headcount) with outstanding global reach: serving 39 countries across 70 offices.
All 3 firms have very similar values running through them which will ring true after the combination. We work hard to be a truly client-focused law firm. That means not just understanding the unique challenges of every market sector, but also providing a service that’s tailored to the needs of each client. Our partners are hands-on and work hard to get closer to clients with everything from joint training initiatives and advice surgeries to visits and social events. What’s more, our teams have the ideal balance of personality and industry expertise to suit the varied needs of our clients.
We welcome and promote diversity among our staff and we are committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment practice.
If you are interested please apply online or contact Claire Keen, Recruitment Advisor for more information.