3 months ago
The Corporate department provides skilled M&A (public and private), capital markets, private equity, projects, reorganisations, and financial services advice, alongside traditional company law, board level compliance, and corporate governance support, to a wide range of clients, including listed PLCs, financial institutions, and major multinational corporates. Our practice is broad, and much of what we do is cross-border.
The London Corporate team has over 150 fee earners and business professionals and we work across 6 key industry groups: Consumer goods & Retail, Energy Mining & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Healthcare, Industrials, Manufacturing& Transportation, Technology, Media and Telecoms.
Our key differentiator is our Lawyers who collaborate across borders, markets and industries around the globe. Our Lawyers embrace new ideas and emerging technologies to give businesses confidence in these uncertain times. Our clients include nearly all of the world’s 100 largest public companies and more than three-quarters of the Fortune 500.
We are seeking an technically excellent and ambitious corporate lawyer looking for a challenging and rewarding new role.
The role will include, but is not limited to, the following:
* Front-line management of deals, including drafting and negotiating the key transactional documents, control of due diligence and disclosure exercises and closings, managing projects to a budget, and taking responsibility for client satisfaction.
* General corporate advisory work and other activities to keep in touch with clients and continue building relationships with clients.
* Engaging in business development activities and being active in the promotion of the Firm and seeking opportunities for new work principally through (a) peer-to-peer relationship building within clients and intermediaries and (b) involvement in our Key industry sector activities (consumer; industrials; pharma/healthcare; FIG) and (c) helping with pitch documentation and attending pitch meetings where appropriate.
* Working as part of a team including assisting with the supervision of junior lawyers’ work, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team.
* Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
* There are regular opportunities for secondments with clients and posting to other offices under the Firm's associate transfer programme.
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
* Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
* The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
* The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
* Stonewall Workplace Equality Index: currently ranked 6th
* Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Mona Rangar, Interim Recruitment Manager, onor via emailPlease note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
* A qualified lawyer with excellent academics credentials
* Current international experience in the corporate department of a leading City or US firm.
* First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the department
* Commerciality and demonstrable business development experience
* Excellent written communication and drafting skills
* Initiative and proactivity
* Maturity and gravitas
* Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
* Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
* High work standards
* Flexible work practices
* Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
* Ability to work well in both a team and individually
* A keenness to learn
* Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm