4 months ago
Department Tax Litigation
Founded by Victor Mishcon in a one-room office in Brixton in 1937 we now have offices in London and New York, employ more than 800 people, with over 500 lawyers offering a wide range of legal services to companies and individuals. In every area of the law that we operate, Mishcon de Reya prides itself in providing a best in class service to its clients. Specifically we offer the following legal services: corporate; dispute resolution; employment; family; private client; and real estate. An entrepreneurial spirit - where candour and involvement are key - characterises our ability to develop and execute the strategies required to achieve our clients’ goals in all these areas. We are an independent firm with an international footprint that extends far beyond our offices in London and New York.
Mishcon de Reya LLP has one of the largest and most comprehensive Dispute Resolution offerings in London; over half of the Firm's lawyers are litigators. From a core of Fraud litigators we have built a team that covers most major areas of the Dispute Resolution world including: White Collar Crime and Investigations, Tax, Competition and Anti-Trust, International Arbitration, Intellectual Property and Fraud Defence. Each dispute requires a bespoke solution, sometimes aggressive, sometimes measured. We fight our client’s corner: we take ownership of our client's dispute so that we can resolve it as effectively as possible. We fiercely guard our clients' interests.
We are looking for a Manager, Tax Investigations to join our growing tax investigations/tax claims practice. Candidates will ideally be experienced in tax knowledge particularly involving tax investigations and disputes, and be confident in managing client relationships, workloads and priorities. Experience of dealing with HMRC is required. We are looking for proactive applicants who are ambitious and have lots of drive and enthusiasm. Candidates should be commercial, creative legal thinkers wanting to develop a business, who are able to approach matters both from a legal as well as a commercial perspective. Sound commercial acumen is therefore a necessity, as well as the ability to 'think on your feet'.
In the context of the above job profile, successful candidates are expected:
* To manage all client work allocated by the Partners and other solicitors within the Group and sometimes across the wider Department.
* To ensure that all client work is progressed in a timely fashion and that the client is kept regularly informed on progress and costs.
* At all times to exercise high standards of client care in a professional and pleasant manner.
* To demonstrate excellent written and interpersonal skills in order to meet the drafting and presentation aspects of the role.
* To ensure the confidentiality and security of all of the Firm’s client documentation and information.
* To demonstrate excellent organisational and prioritising skills to meet the demands of challenging and commercial internal and external clients.
* To demonstrate a willingness to support clients out of hours and on weekends (on occasion), providing urgent round-the-clock advice.
* To achieve agreed levels of billing and time recording.
* To maintain clear communication links with colleagues in the Firm.
* To ensure good working relationships with colleagues, clients and external organisations.
* To take responsibility for and attend to self-development.
* To be active in promoting the services of the Firm.
* To take a keen interest in undertaking business development activities both internally and externally
* Experienced in tax knowledge particularly involving tax investigations and disputes;
* Experience should come from having worked in either HMRC, in accountancy practice or in a specialist boutique or law firm.
* The applicant should have experience of dealing with HMRC enquiries including Code 8 and Code 9 work, information powers, penalties, discovery and disclosure facilities.
* Experience of employment tax issues including IR35, PAYE compliance, NMW enquiries and Disguised Remuneration is desirable.
* Whilst a tax qualification such as CTA or ATT is not essential candidates should be able to demonstrate practical experience of handling differing aspects of UK tax matters
* Excellent team player;
* Excellent attention to detail;
* Excellent organisational skills;
* Ability to effectively manage own workload;
* Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels;
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
* Personable and confident, able to build relationships with partners/ key stakeholders;
* Resilient and calm under pressure;
* Adaptable and flexible approach;
* Pro-active and takes initiative.
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You may be required by your line manager to take on additional responsibilities when requested.
Diversity & Inclusion lie at the heart of our core values. At Mishcon de Reya, our aim is to promote and foster a culture which embraces diversity, respect for the individual and the expression of talent, to empower individuals to fulfil their, and the firm’s, potential. In order to support this, we recognise the importance of flexible and agile working and are open to having conversations on how this could work for you and our business