9 months ago
Posted on December 5, 2017
Full - time
Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT)
London or Glasgow
Succeeding in today’s technology industry requires a deep understanding of the sector and a keen knowledge of the business issues driving change. Rely on Dentons' Technology lawyers in the UK for extensive legal capabilities and experience developed through decades working with a wide range of participants in the sector—from emerging growth software and IT companies to multinational technology suppliers. Among our lawyers are computer programmers and legal counsel who have worked for leading technology companies.
Having worked at the cutting edge of sourcing and technology work for many years, our UK-based strategic sourcing practice comprises not only authoritative lawyers in the field, but also thought leaders. Turn to us for support in structuring and negotiating sourcing solutions that will meet your business objectives. Obtain strategic counsel that delivers cost savings and transformational benefits for your organisation.
World-leading corporations and government entities have turned to us for advice over the years, and we have worked on many of the largest and most innovative sourcing deals across an array of industry sectors. Tap into Dentons' deep know-how when it comes to technology projects in the areas of media, telecoms, energy, transportation, infrastructure, financial institutions, government, health care, real estate, hotels, retail and more.
Purpose of role
We have an opportunity for an experienced Privacy and Data Protection Assistant/Associate to join our highly-ranked Privacy and Cyber Security group in Glasgow.
Candidates will ideally have 4 to 6 years' pqe but we will consider applications from candidates outside this range with suitable skills and knowledge.
The group, led by Nick Graham, is ranked "Band 1", and has a strong teamwork ethic and a first class client management approach. It is essential that candidates are team players and committed to developing personally and professionally. A determination to deliver a high quality focused product to our clients is essential, as is maintaining and developing client relationships.
* Drafting, reviewing and amending a range of Privacy / Data Protection documentation
* Advising clients on a variety of Privacy and Data Protection matters
* Supporting clients on global projects, including:
* Managing large GDPR projects and advising on the implementation of the UK Data Protection Bill
* Having an understanding of DP laws outside the UK
* Data transfers
* BCRs and Model Contracts Projects
* Managing local lawyers
* Contribute to BD and marketing activities
* Coach and mentor junior members of the team
* Provide thought leadership and raise the profile of the firm externally
Required experience, skills and attributes
Having obtained some experience in all, or some, of the following would be preferable but is not essential:
* Advising clients on a range of Privacy / Data Protection documentation and legal matters
* Working within a top tier Scottish, UK or international firm
* Strong academic track record
* Experience gained in house within an industry leading organisation would be beneficial
* Operating within the EU Regulatory framework
* Advising on GDPR
* Cyber risk and data breach / dealing with the DPAs
* Data transfers
* Data localisation
* Adtech, consumer data exploitation and strategy
* Internet of Things and connected devices
* DSAR and Individual Rights
* DP Audits and risk assessments
* Direct Marketing
* HR data compliance
* ICO /WP29 Guidance and case law
* Information Security
* Proven track record of marketing and business development
* Experienced in writing articles and speaking at conferences
* Active involvement in industry groups
* Strong client facing skills
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.