We have an exciting opportunity for a Litigation & Recoveries Solicitor (0-3 Years PQE) to join our Commercial Litigation team in Bristol. This is a varied role, covering general Commercial Litigation, Insolvency and Reputation Management. Clients will include leading education and charitable institutions and major corporates through to individuals and owner-managed businesses.
Our Commercial Litigation team is made up of 25 people across our Bristol, London, Birmingham and Watford offices. In this role, you will be working closely with and supporting Ben Holt and Ed Husband.
To work with colleagues to help clients succeed in realising their business or personal objectives, through the efficient delivery of appropriate legal advice and assistance.
- Working on claims relating to issues including: contractual disputes; corporate fall-outs; defamation; intellectual property issues; internet and social media take down requests; critical health and safety regulatory advice; and high profile claims for schools.
- Working as a team with colleagues to advise clients in fast-moving areas of law, often with high levels of media interest.
- Preparing drafts of pre-action letters and written advice; adopting a concise and clear style and an appropriate tone.
- Giving commercial advice, taking an interest in the client's business and the wider context of the dispute; explaining the costs and relationship implications.
- Reviewing evidence and documentation; researching intricate points of law.
- Assisting with the preparation of all documents and pleadings in relation to court proceedings.
- Conducting and co-ordinating disclosure exercises.
- Day-to-day management on some cases, assisting partners and senior team members on other claims.
- Being a first point of contact for clients on the telephone and attending meetings; being able to explain complex issues in a manner appropriate to the particular client.
- Directly handling settlement negotiations with the opponents on suitable cases.
- Assisting with business development initiatives: writing articles for publication, working on presentations and looking out for other areas in which to contribute.
- Demonstrating a basic level of competence in own area of law.
- Advising clients on basic matters and refers matters to supervisor(s) when appropriate.
- Taking client calls successfully and produces/records effective telephone notes.
- Demonstrating a basic understanding of the client's aims and objectives.
- Applying Firm and departmental processes and procedures.
- Demonstrating best use of precedents and knowing how to save time and costs.
- Drafting concise documents in plain language.
- Contributing to appropriate business development activities of the team and the Firm
- Wherever the opportunity arises, promoting the services of teams from across the Firm to the client for whom they are acting
- Introducing new clients to the Firm.
- Achieving agreed business development targets.
- Identifying and attends appropriate networking opportunities.
- Updating SLX accordingly.
- Working collaboratively across all offices.
- Playing an active role within the team and supports other team members during busy times.
- Involving secretaries and other support staff in an effective way.
- Taking responsibility for delegated work, asks for guidance in respect of matters which are unclear and reports errors which need to be resolved.
- Demonstrating a willingness to support the supervisor to whom they report.
- Committing to attendance at team/departmental meetings and individual training/meetings.
Financial management (under the supervision of a Partner)
- Achieving financial and hours targets set by Head of Department.
- Demonstrating an understanding/awareness of working capital and regular billing and refers matters as necessary in a timely fashion to the Supervisor. Bringing matters to the attention of the Supervisor and/or clients at the appropriate time and updates fee estimates accordingly.
- Actively participating / contributing to the scoping of work.
- Proactively and regularly seeking work from supervisor(s).
- Complying with the SRA Accounts Rules.
- Dealing promptly with any working capital exercises.
- Operating in a commercial manner, undertaking tasks proportionately to the issues and values at hand and taking into account the client's requirements.
- Adopting knowledge sharing behaviours at team, department and Firm level.
- Contributing to knowledge sharing initiatives to improve efficiency and profitability.
- Supporting the team's Knowledge Champion in building and cascading knowledge sharing resources, protocols and practices.
- Contributing to the development of the firm's know-how and precedents.
- Demonstrating best use of precedents and know how to save time and costs.
- Demonstrating consistent compliance with the Firm's quality policies and procedures.
Learning and development
- Complying with CPD requirements and identifies specific training needs.
- Attending appropriate departmental training sessions.
- Attending appropriate internal courses (e.g. management and IT skills).
- Providing informal and formal training as appropriate (e.g. induction, mentoring and internal team presentations).
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will be an admitted solicitor with current Practising Certificate. Must demonstrate an ability to work to the SRA's Skills Standards and to provide accurate, focussed advice to clients. Familiarity with and confidence in the use of office IT applications; good typing skills.
- Advocate and present orally when required.
- Conduct effective case and transaction management.
- Develop strong client relationships.
- Communicate concisely both verbally and in writing with colleagues and clients.
- Draft legal documents, advice notes and give legal advice that is clear and concise.
- Interview and advise clients, helping them decide the best course of action.
- Identify the relevant legal issues applicable to a case or a transaction.
- Conduct negotiations where appropriate.
- Researching relevant areas of law.
VWV is a full service law firm ranked as a leader in both the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories. Our firm-wide core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensure a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients. Our high standards have been recognised by the Law Society through Lexcel and their Conveyancing Quality schemes.
With over 400 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are a medium size national law firm with a commitment to the training and development of our employees at all levels. This can be demonstrated by our Bronze Investors in People accreditation. On top of this, we have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business. 96% of our clients say they would recommend us which, we believe, is a strong indicator of our culture.