10 days ago
Birketts is a full service, top 100 UK law firm, operating in Cambridge, Chelmsford, Ipswich, Norwich and the surrounding areas.
With a rich heritage spanning over 150 years we’ve built an enviable track record advising businesses, institutions and individuals in the UK and internationally.
Throughout our history our ethos has remained simple: we provide clear legal advice and value and insight to our clients.
We set out to truly understand our clients’ needs and help realise their ambitions.
We believe that through this approach and a combination of technical excellence and high quality service we can develop long-lasting partnerships and become our clients' solicitor of choice.
Our specialist and dedicated SIPP/SSAS (self invested personal pension/small self administered scheme) Property Team deal with all elements of commercial property transactions involving SIPPs and SSASs to include acquisitions, disposals, leases and mortgages.
We act for a number of the country’s leading SIPP and SSAS providers and collectively our team has over 30 years’ experience of working within the SIPP industry, which gives us a full understanding of the regulations faced by our clients and also their day to day challenges.
Purpose of job
To work as part of a secretarial team to provide professional, proactive, high level secretarial support to an allocated group of fee earners and to the wider fee earning team.
* To produce and amend documents with speed and accuracy;
* To format, paginate, number and present documents;
* To proof read all work, checking for spelling and grammar;
* To be a user of key software packages and take responsibility for any training needs to improve relevant skills needed to meet the needs of the business;
* To proactively work with the fee earners to ensure relevant documentation is produced to meet clients’ expectations and deadlines.
Manage diaries of allocated fee earners in Microsoft Outlook to include:
* making appointments;
* arranging meetings/conferences
* sending and responding to invites;
* booking restaurants;
* To prepare papers for meetings and deal with any necessary paperwork etc. following meetings attended by fee earners;
* Make travel arrangements as requested by the Fee Earner
* Process expense claims, payment requisition forms, returned advances;
* To accurately maintain and update client and other relevant contact details on the firm's database;
* To process all forms including new client form, new matter form, money laundering form, training course booking forms etc.
* To ensure that all electronic filing and paper based filing is up to date and maintained at regular intervals;
* To prepare narratives and bills and keep billing files up to date;
* To carry out photocopying and scanning as required.
* To immediately clarify instructions from fee earners should they be unclear or if deadlines are not made explicit;
* To respond to internal and external telephone enquiries politely and professionally and take accurate telephone messages(name/number/company), passing them on to the relevant fee earners etc.;
* To proactively support other members of the secretarial team and to provide cover as and when necessary to ensure that work is completed to a high standard and meets the required deadlines;
* To provide full support to fee earners in the full range of activities that are performed and to carry out any other duties as reasonably requested.
* To show a positive approach and interest in the work that your fee earners are undertaking;
* Show initiative when responding to queries and actively try to seek solutions to problems;
* To support your fee earners when clients are demanding the work product to be delivered;
* To support and build working relationships with your own fee earners as well as other members of the team and to actively work for the interests of the whole team
* To support and build working relationships with your colleagues in the secretarial team and to actively get involved in working activities within the team.
* Ensure you are aware of and comply with all information security policies of the organisation relevant to your business role;
* Report any actual or potential security breaches; and
* Contribute to risk assessment where required.
* All employees have the authority to act to prevent an information security incident from occurring or escalating, where possible.
* Proven Legal Secretary experience ideally gained within Property.
* Educated to GCSE or O level standard or equivalent.
* Experience of using BigHand is desirable
* Typing speed of at least 60 wpm
* Excellent spelling and punctuation
* Excellent written and verbal communications
* Ability to use discretion
* Excellent IT skills, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
* Positive and enthusiastic approach to team work
* Good telephone manner
* Adaptable and flexible
* Self-motivated, ability to use initiative and provide pro-active support to fee-earners
* Ability to pay attention to detail and check own work
* Reliable and well organised
* Ability to remain calm and work under pressure to meet strict deadlines
* Commitment to ongoing learning and development
We are committed to recruiting individuals on merits of suitability for each role, on the basis of qualifications and experience. All applications are treated fairly and equally regardless of sexual orientation, race, disability, religious beliefs and any other protected characteristic, ensuring that there are equal opportunities at all stages of the recruitment process.