We are looking for an experienced Legal Secretary to join our Litigation team on a Part Time basis in our Queen Square office. The role will involve providing direct support to the Litigation Department to enable each of them to operate at optimum efficiency.
Barcan+Kirby is a 17-partner firm of solicitors with a reputation for providing high quality, common sense advice. We offer a comprehensive range of legal services supported by our culture of respect and understanding.
From our six offices located across Bristol and South Gloucestershire, our friendly and approachable teams provide advice and guidance to both individuals and businesses within the South West and nationwide.
- Typing, using SOS Connect, Laserforms and digital dictation to manage all current and archived matters including managing existing Contacts and Client data and creating new Contacts, Clients and Matters.
- Setting up Litigation files (eg: property dispute, personal injury, debt recovery, employment, etc).
- Using and entering information on SOS.
- Undertaking money laundering tasks.
- Ensure compliance with department and firm wide training and requirements.
- Preparing correspondence and documents in accordance with the Firm’s procedures.
- Administer filing which will include filing, opening, closing, storage and retrieval of files in accordance with the detailed procedures contained within the Office Manual.
- Carrying out conflict checks.
- Undertake photocopying.
- Liaising with clients, other solicitors, the Courts, barristers, Defendants and their representatives, hospitals, Tribunals and others.
- Chasing information where necessary.
- Deal with new enquiries and cross referrals within the Firm.
- Organising meetings and conferences with clients and others; making travel arrangements and arranging refreshments when necessary.
- Arranging training for fee earners and dealing with accounts for payment.
- Upon instruction, organise bank payments to clients and third parties.
- Prepare the conference room for meetings as necessary and for the tidying and clearance of the room at the end of the meeting.
- Preparing basic forms, to include forms required for applications and Court papers for using SOS and Laserform software.
- Prepare Court bundles and instructions to Counsel.
- Taking telephone messages; scanning and filing post;
- Ensuring that post is checked and sent.
- Adding to diaries dates and deadlines.
- Researching of information when required.
- Requesting documents from archives.
- Maintenance of file format and content in accordance with the Office Manual, photocopying and scanning documents as required.
- Meeting with clients to complete basic forms or obtain further information and instructions.
- Assisting with reception duties when required.
- Checking incoming post in absence of FE to see what is to be actioned. Ensuring that full notes are on files/ SOS and FE notified by email of all work done on the files in FE’s absence.
- Recording billable time when appropriate to do so.
- Assisting with work for other colleagues.
- Undertake specific training when required to do so and overall to have a responsibility towards self-development.
- Ensure the confidentiality of all the Firm’s and clients’ documentation and information.
- Any other reasonable duties as directed by your manager.
- Preparing private client bills
- Requesting cheques
- Obtaining Partner's signature to cheques
- Request bank payments
- Requesting transfer of money between client and office accounts
- Referring amendments to cheques and bills to Partners for approval and dealing with the formalities for such amendment
We offer all staff a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- 25 days holiday (increasing to 28)
- Holiday purchase scheme available – up to 5 days (pro-rata for part-time staff)
- Personal pension plan – matched contribution of 4.5%
- Death in service benefit of 4x salary
- Discretionary profit and performance-related bonus
- Discounted legal services
- Flexible working arrangements
- Childcare vouchers
- Season ticket loans and Cycle to Work scheme
- Annual flu jab vouchers
- Summer and Christmas socials
- Long service awards – after 10 years and every 5 years thereafter
Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays- Approximately 21 hours per week.