9 months ago
Practice group/Global Operations team:
Type of Vacancy:
Full time/Part time:
Contract/Part time details:
About Eversheds Sutherland:
The Corporate and Commercial Practice Group (“CCPG”) handle significant and complex transactions ranging from high value, multi-jurisdictional M&A deals to global outsourcing projects. Our clients instruct us because of the quality of technical advice, our proven track record and our global reach. Quality underpins everything we do and encompasses not just technical quality and applied expertise but also the manner of delivery. Project management is critical to an excellent client experience.
As a result, Eversheds Sutherland is proud to have a team which specialises in providing dedicated legal project management on the large, complex and, often, multi-jurisdictional transactions which it is instructed on within CCPG.
The purpose of this team is to improve the transaction experience of both clients and the internal Eversheds Sutherland team and in so doing support growth in CCPG. The team supports and facilitates the continuous improvement in how deals are delivered and the high quality experience for all involved. It helps increase efficiency and provide exceptional client service on our most complex matters.
As a result of the growing need / number of requests from client’s for legal project managers on transactions, as well as an increase in multi-jurisdictional matters, we are looking to expand the size and scope of our team. We are, therefore, looking for someone to join the team who will be based in the Birmingham office and who will report to the Head of Legal Project Management in the London office.
The role will involve working closely with lead partners and the Head of Legal Project Management to assist with the efficient management of sophisticated client engagements, help deliver control over progress, timetable and budget and allow busy lawyers to focus on legal issues. The individual will also be capable of contributing to pitches. Specifically, the role will entail assisting with:
• Scoping; budgeting; setting up project phases
• Preparation of project plans / timelines for internal and external use
• Identifying appropriate team members considering issues such as capacity, experience required; client service continuity and impact on profitability;
• Co-ordinate matter opening process
• Identify stakeholders and establish a communication plan
• Establishing global team, settling protocols, briefing team members
• Identify and deploy appropriate technology to help execute the transaction effectively; liaising with internal and external IT;
• Scoping and designing MI.
• Co-ordinate work effort across global team, status/RAG reporting; liaising with client and communicating progress;
• Deploying appropriate technology solutions and ensuring internal and external teams appropriately trained in its use;
• Managing ongoing team changes (to cover absences; staff turnover/secondments etc) and ensuring appropriate mid-flight on-boarding;
• Tracking scope changes and co-ordinating response and client comms;
• Management of internal global team deliverables, team briefings (which will often involve “virtual” teams) and action lists;
• Liaising directly with client project manager on progress and reporting requirements;
• Working with the lead partner and matter manager to respond and plan for issues;
• Financial management: on-going monitoring of time recording, narratives, fees, run rates and other key financial metrics; regular updates to the client on fees and disbursements
• Management of post-closing process, including identifying resulting business development opportunities
• Organise client and team debriefings and feedback;
• Co-ordinate with PSL to capture knowledge;
• Track learning points and continually develop our techniques and offering
Skills and experience:
• Experience/working knowledge of project management
• Technically astute
The successful candidate will be or have been a lawyer. Key qualities required include being hard working, enthusiastic, a team player, having a high level of initiative and a willingness to learn. Advanced organisational skills, attention to detail and exemplary writing skills are key. The role will involve direct client contact therefore excellent communication, professionalism and interpersonal skills are essential.
This role will typically suit a lawyer 3 - 4 PQE, however a band of PQE as advertised on a role does not preclude applications from those candidates that may have more or less PQE. Our intention is only to indicate a guideline as to how long we would expect a qualified lawyer to have practised so as to have gained the necessary skills for the role as described.
We're a modern, progressive law firm. We think differently and we've built a culture where individual skills and personalities can shine through. At Eversheds Sutherland, we believe that innovation comes from a culture of genuine equality and diversity and we are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments individuals may require in the recruitment process, or once in post.
In addition to the above, Eversheds Sutherland also require awareness of and full participation in the Firm’s commitment to equality and diversity, the environment and health and safety.