3 months ago
Head Legal Cashier
Lewis Silkin is a UK top-100 commercial law firm with offices in London, Oxford, Cardiff, Dublin and Hong Kong. The firm is recognised by clients and industries alike as being distinct: for its deep understanding, insight and advice to creative, innovative and brand-focused businesses; for its market-leading international practice in employment, immigration and reward; and for delivering pragmatic, commercial advice in a refreshingly human way.
With 59 partners and more than 300 staff, the firm is structured around two key divisions.
In employment, immigration and reward, it is consistently top-ranked, and was named HR Law Firm of the Year 2015 by the Legal 500. With over 100 lawyers, Lewis Silkin’s employment and immigration team offers an unrivalled service supporting clients, including many of the world’s leading businesses, on their HR, employment and immigration law needs domestically and internationally.
The creators, makers and innovators team is made up of leading advisers for creative, innovative and brand-focused businesses, offering a deep understanding of the industry sectors in which clients operate combined with real expertise across a wide range of legal services. From start-ups to multinationals, the firm’s comprehensive and commercially focused advice helps clients succeed in an increasingly complex and converged international marketplace.
The Finance Department is made up of a central management team, Cashiers and Working Capital Controllers.
The Cashiers team, led by the Finance Operations Manager, is a team of four working closely with the fee-earning departments to ensure all aspects of client and office accounts are carried out effectively.
* Client and office account payments and receipts
* Banking of client and office account cheques
* Posting and checking recharges, processing disbursements
* Reconcile and post Counsel and Expert fees
* Preparing and processing foreign payments
* Write-off disbursements
* Petty cash postings and reconciliation
* Bank reconciliations
* Multi-currency postings
* Client to office transfers
Activities may include:
* Banking (client and office), including initiating BACS and CHAPS payments and posting receipts
* Posting transfers between the client & office bank accounts
* Client Interest calculations
Experience and Skills Required
The successful candidate will have extensive cashiering experience gained within a law firm or other professional services environment and must be able to demonstrate:
* an in-depth working knowledge of the Solicitors’ Accounts Rules;
* an understanding of VAT recovery processes;
* excellent technical skills including Excel and experience of practice management systems, preferably Elite 3E
* knowledge of Billing and Credit Control preferred but not essential
* Any other ad hoc duties as required
The Cashier must be able to demonstrate:
* an ability to manage their own time, organise their work and deal with queries efficiently and promptly;
* the ability to work with the rest of the team, supporting others as required;
* ability to liaise with members of the wider Finance department to resolve queries and other matters that arise
* ability to build relationships with partners and key stakeholders to manage this process
* excellent attention to detail and a consistently high level of accuracy;
* the knowledge and desire to identify and implement improvements to processes and procedures; and
* strong communication and influencing skills, with the ability to communicate at all levels of the organisation.