Plexus Law Overview
Plexus Law is a Specialist Defendant Insurance Practice with offices in London, Manchester, Leeds, Evesham, Liverpool and associated offices in Scotland. The firm works with Insurance Companies, Corporate and Public Sector Clients and the Lloyd’s market.
The role of the Infrastructure Engineer is to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the in-house information systems that support core organisational functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting and optimising the environment.
The Infrastructure Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate and resolve issues in order to maximise the benefit of IT systems investments, checking that they are managed in accordance with agreed standards and procedures.
The position involves progressing various key infrastructure projects, delivering them on time and within budget. Managing the planned tasks and keeping stakeholders updated.
· Working closely with the 1st and 2nd line teams you will diagnose and resolve problems across the company’s infrastructure.
· You will install, maintain, configure and monitor the various applications in use across the firm.
· You will carry out daily checks, monitoring and administration tasks as required and as scheduled on a BAU rota.
· You will design and implement best of breed systems and solutions ensuring the Technical design standards have been adhered.
· You will provide advice and guidance to our internal customers and colleagues regarding the latest technologies.
· You will carry out backup administration tasks, such as creating, scheduling backup jobs and performing restores, as required.
· You will carry out system upgrades and patching for key systems such as Hyper-V, Windows and Exchange. Ensuring systems are patched as per the patch schedule.
· You will ensure cloud services such as Office 365 and Azure are managed and administrated to best practice
· You will ensure that all tasks and procedures are carried out effectively and efficiently to agreed levels of service or specific requirements of Service Level Agreements.
· You will manage and seek to continuously improve the desktop environment for the Group making use of Group Policy Objects and security groups to enforce company standards and best practice policies.
· You will liaise with customers to understand the specific business use of applications and desktop tools in order to ensure their provision is appropriate, and work with other Technical Teams on methods for improvement.
· You will identify and rectify a broad range of operational exceptions and error conditions and be required to deal sensibly and responsibly with unexpected or extraordinary events or incidents. Where these actions necessitate modification, restriction or complete removal of resources or services available to the company, you will communicate with employees, specialists and others, using appropriate ITSM tools and methods to inform and escalate where necessary.
· In a timely fashion you will respond to enquiries by users, specialists or others and be able to deal effectively with a broad range of problems of advanced complexity, only escalating those which need specialist or management attention.
· You are required to create documentation of the supported systems and software.
· You will carry out basic networking tasks to support the internally managed network infrastructure
· You will carry out basic telephony tasks to support the internal Telephony infrastructure
· You will participate in reviews of systems performance, provides advice and assist specialists or other system or service providers to plan details of amendments and upgrades to systems.
· You will review incident, service and change records to ensure that problems are managed in accordance with agreed standards and procedures.
· You will ensure that procedures are followed, particularly those relating to safety and security.
· You will assist with the planning and deployment of infrastructure security measures, controls and monitoring.
· You are required to test server performance and provide statistics and reports, developing strategies to improve server performance.
· 3 years’ experience working in Infrastructure field.
· Strong problem solving, Problem Management and root cause analysis (RCA) skills
· Good networking understanding (LAN, WAN, TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, WAN).
· Experience working in a technical environment is required.
· Experience administering server and storage technologies (Hyper-converged, Blades technologies, Enterprise SANs, Storage Spaces Direct)
· Experience setting up, configuring and troubleshooting hardware (Server, Storage, Switch), which may include attendance on-site.
· Experience managing Windows server 2016, 2012 R2, 2012 and 2008 R2
· Experience managing, deploying and adopting Office 365 such as Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, Information Protection and other O365 features.
· Experience managing enterprise applications (Windows Server, SQL, Exchange, and Active Directory).
· Experience administering System management tools (Microsoft Systems Center, PRTG, Solarwinds)
· Experience of service and application delivery, as well as successful service level agreement accomplishments.
· Technical experience of building and deploying server, storage, database, and administrative server environments.
Essential Soft Skills
· Flexibility to work complete out of hours work when required, including participation of an On-Call Rota.
· Ability to communicate clearly, persuade and influence, good listening skills.
· Understanding of the organisation’s goals and objectives
· Understanding of human resource management principles, practices and procedures.
· Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· Strong negotiating skills.
· Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
· Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
· Keen attention to detail.
· Demonstrated ability to apply IT in solving business problems.
· Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
· Exceptional service orientation.
· Ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
· Previous experience working alongside third-party service providers across all technologies.
Must have strong skills/experience in the following 3 disciplines
· Experience managing Cisco switch and router devices
· Experience implementing Cisco networking
· Understanding of HSRP, BGP, TCP stack, routing protocols and WAN fundamentals
· Experience of Firewalls – working within a Firewalled network environment.
· Experience managing virtual environments and using the related console tools (either ESXi/Hyper-V/AHV).
· In-depth knowledge of virtualisation technology (either ESXi/Hyper-V/AHV).
· Understanding of High Availability (HA) virtualisation technologies.
· Experience supporting SANs or Hyper Converged Infrastructure (HCI).
· Experience configuring SANs, carving storage and configuring fabric zoning.
· Understanding of snapshot backup technologies such as Altaro or Veeam.
Must have strong skills/experience in 1 or more of the following 5 disciplines
· Experience supporting an Exchange Online environment.
· Experience of using a smart host (preferably Mimecast).
· Experience of configuring Exchange server roles.
· Understanding of Exchange High Availability.
· Experience administrating and supporting Office365.
· Experience migrating users from on premise to Office365.
· Support experience of Windows Azure.
· ISO27001 knowledge – specifically how to apply this to a Windows enterprise business environment.
· Good knowledge of one of the popular Anti-Virus/Security suites (Symantec SEP, McAfee EPO, SOPHOS etc.).
· Support experience of common Windows desktop operating systems such as 10, 8.1, 8, 7 and XP desktops.
· Experience installing and configuring desktops.
· Experience troubleshooting and supporting mobile devices.
· Experience installing, configuring and supporting MS Office and other standard desktop applications.
· Practical experience of working within an ITIL framework environment as well as holding an ITIL v3 foundation certificate (if not holding a v3 certificate a demonstrated understanding of the framework).
· Experience with Incident and Problem management and a proven ability to handle P1 critical incidents
· Sound experience working in a change management environment. Including completing change documents and changes, attending CABs and ECABs.
· Able to review third party and other IT team’s changes. Evaluating the risks involved and where appropriate question the change detail to ensure change success and service availability.
· Attend risk reviews and update the IT risk register.
· Experience working in a service desk/support environment is required.
· ICND101, CCNA or above.
· University degree in the field of computer science or business administration.
· MCSE in windows 2016, 2012 or 2008.
· Great working knowledge of PCs, laptops and printers.
· Knowledge of the Law sector and how IT can enhance the law sector.
· Working a shift to cover the team’s operational hours between 09:00 & 17:00. The shift hours may need to change to cover the service as and when required.
· Overtime may be required to cover occasional periods that fall outside the departments normal operational hours.
· This role includes an On-Call and emergency callout rota. This rota will be at least 1 week in 4 and will be covering the out of hours incidents and alerts for 7 days. The completion of these duties can involve visiting the data centre or a remote site depending on the issue.
· The Infrastructure Network Engineers will need to travel to other Plexus branch sites / Datacentres from time to time as the need arises to complete installs, repairs and to work on projects. At times, this maybe at short notice and can outside of normal business hours.
· Heavy lifting of the group’s IT equipment may be required from time to time.
The checking of backups will be required at the weekends and this will be on a rota basis.
Responsibilities relating to Information Security
Plexus Law Ltd takes information security very seriously and we expect all our employees to:
r Comply with all applicable security related policies defined by Plexus Law Ltd
r Be vigilant and report security incidents to an appropriate manager
r as quickly as is practicable
r Report any weaknesses they notice in the way information security is managed and if possible provide suggestions for improvement
The firm is committed to providing a non-discriminatory and harassment free working environment for all its employees. All staff are expected to have due regard for those policies when carrying out their duties.
All offers are subject to satisfactory DBS checks, credit check and professional/personal referee checks.