6 months ago
The Business Development Manager is a role within the Marketing & Business Development (“MBD”) function and the EMEA (“Europe, Middle East & Asia”) region at Norton Rose Fulbright.
The core responsibilities of the Business Development Manager are to support the continued development of our Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities practice for EMEA across all industry sectors. We are leaders in complex, cross-border Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities transactions for the world’s most prominent financial institutions and corporates.
The postholder will implement strategically aligned, client focused and value-added initiatives, ensuring key global, regional and practice objectives are achieved. The day-to-day operations range from business planning and client development, to winning work and raising the profile of our business.
* Work with the Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities leadership team to develop and implement annual business plans, budget proposals and campaign plans for the EMEA region.
* Oversee EMEA Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities BD activity to ensure regional objectives are met. This includes, but is not limited to, client development, profile raising, marketing and communications, pitching and event management.
* Plan for and monitor the relevant business development budgets.
* Help drive and implement firm-wide and/or regional BD initiatives within the Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities practice as appropriate.
Support relationship partners as the lead BD manager on specific key clients.
* Lead engagement of the practice in our global and priority client programmes and drive the realisation of opportunities.
* Facilitate participation in our client feedback programme; track and act on actions arising from interviews, and assess how feedback can be used to drive behavioural change.
* Maintain awareness of relevant global and local marketing products which can be used for client development and dialogue.
* Project management of transactional and strategic bids; provide input on approach, team formations; draft, create, review and edit content; ensure adherence to branding requirements; ensure adherence to pricing procedures.
* Ensure follow up is sought from client post pitch; track and act on actions which arise; assess how feedback can be used to drive behavioral change.
* Monitor panel appointments and drive realisation of opportunities presented.
* Develop high quality materials for use in bids to convey EMEA positioning, experience and sales messages to clients and targets. Ensure, for consistent messaging and capability presentation, that this content is replicated in appropriate systems and all communications channels.
* Act as practice ambassador for bid best practice to ensure understanding and compliance of bid process; bring focus on the content of bids through second-nature understanding and acceptance of bid process.
* Analyse win/lose rates and make recommendations as to how to improve performance.
* Work with the communications team and PR to develop the firm’s profile for international Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities work through profile raising campaigns and supporting marketing activities, collateral and press.
* Systematically measure performance in league tables and directories; agree target rankings; facilitate contribution to league tables and directories using consistent positioning messages; report on change in rankings and against targets set; refine approach as needed.
* Ensure key practice activity is brand compliant and adopts our visual identity to deliver consistent materials to market
* Ensure all communications channels convey consistent messaging and capability presentation (including but not limited to web, collateral, bids, experience statements, directories, league tables, CVs).
* Adhere to and/or develop best practice to improve efficiency and transparency to fee earners.
* Effectively utilise and promote use of our Newcastle Hub and Manila-based Global Services Centre as appropriate.
* Encourage practice adherence to procedures and best practice with firm systems including InterAction and Experience Management.
Skills and Experience Required
* Graduate calibre with demonstrable and/or professionally recognised marketing or communications qualification (such as CIM, etc)
* Minimum 5 year experience working in a legal and/or professional services environment
* Strong written, editorial and oral communication skills
* Excellent project management skills - this candidate must be able to demonstrate experience of managing multiple projects and transforming a commercial issue into business development opportunity
* Leadership ability - this candidate must be able to build a strong reputation within the business and deliver excellent service
* Confident, persuasive and assertive
* Excellent attention to detail
* Understands when to act and when to ask
* Experience of working with clients - ability to be client facing
* Demonstrable experience in managing and writing bids
* Understands the need and has the ability to manage expectations
* Sound working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Our business principles are Quality, Unity, Integrity. The successful candidate will be expected consistently to demonstrate the following competencies:
* Shows technical ability
* Communicates effectively
* Organised and meets deadlines
* Focuses on performance enhancement
* Develops and maintains relationships
* Focuses on strategic priorities
* Constantly finds ways to add value
* Treats people with dignity and respect
* Promotes and demonstrates our business principles