5 days ago
Our Library team plays a vital role in ensuring our lawyers have access to the right information at the right time. The team manages an extensive range of printed and online legal and business information resources underpinning the firm’s wide ranging knowledge and business development strategies.
A comprehensive research service is provided for internal and external clients. We deliver a range of current awareness services including daily press and legislation monitoring as well as offering an extensive training program to enable lawyers to make best use of the library services.
We are looking for a bright, articulate and motivated Library Studies or Information Science graduate seeking their first professional post. The role encompasses a broad range of library and information work, providing an excellent grounding for a new entrant to the profession.
The Information Assistant will be part of the London Library & Information Services team, which includes the Head of Library & Information for EMEA, 1 Manager, 4 Information Officers and 1 Procurement Assistant.
To work as an Information Assistant in our London Library, the scope of the role will include the following:
* Handle legal and business search requests including in-depth and quick turnaround enquiries
* Train users so they have the expertise to research effectively using the services and systems provided.
* Promote resources and information services to raise awareness of what’s available
* Assist with the compilation of current awareness about our headlights and clients
* Responsibility for the maintenance of the hard copy collection within the library
Enquiry and Research Services
* Handle a range of legal and business search requests from internal clients, (both fee-earners and business services) and external clients.
* Maintain a good understanding and knowledge of relevant legal and business resources in order to undertake in-depth legal and business research
* Responsibility for the twice yearly press, journals and law reports audit. The audit is run by the team in the Global Services Centre [GSC] but you’ll be responsible for making amendments to existing searches, deleting alerts no longer required and updating circulation lists.
* Circulation of online and hardcopy journals and law reports. Add users as requested to our hardcopy/online journal circulation lists.
* Manage and compile news and other updates for internal distribution in London as well as across the global business. Shared responsibility with other team members.
Hard copy collection
* File loose-leaf updates
* Assist with the cataloguing of books and new editions
* Book processing
Journals, Updates and Law Reports
* Opening and distribution of post throughout the day. Prepare international post for collection on Friday.
* Record the receipt of journals, law reports, loose-leaf updates on the library catalogue. Process any missing issue claims
* Responsibility for cataloguing new journal titles on Workflows. Maintain and update user details and passwords for our online journal subscriptions.
* Maintain the journals holdings and various department journals handout lists
* Responsibility for the binding budget as well as the binding of journals
* Responsibility for maintaining a tidy Library
* Maintain library signage
* Stamp and display the newspapers on the table daily
* Sort and discard newspapers on a weekly basis
This job description is not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake additional duties from time to time to support the team.
Skills and attributes required
* Degree or Post-Graduate qualification in Library / Information Science
* Good prioritizing, organizational and administrative skills.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Proactive attitude to problem solving and a flexible approach to address a wide variety of tasks.
* Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
* A positive, ‘can do’ approach, shares knowledge and demonstrates initiative.
* Flexible and customer-focused.
* Strong IT skills
Library is staffed between the hours of 9am and 6pm. There are 2 shift patterns in operation, 9am to 5pm and 10 am to 6pm and these are organized on a Rota basis. Flexibility around these hours is a must.
At Norton Rose Fulbright we welcome receiving direct candidate applications via our careers page.
If you would like to ask any specific questions beforehand, please contact Philippa Wilson at philippa.wilson@