9 months ago
Practice group/Global Operations team:
Eversheds Sutherland Consulting
Type of Vacancy:
Full time/Part time:
Contract/Part time details:
About Eversheds Sutherland:
Eversheds Sutherland is not your average law firm and we're not looking for average people. We do things differently - in the way we treat our people and the service we provide. That's how we've become one of the largest law firms in the world and a great place to work and develop your career.
Recognized as the leading innovators in the legal sector, we are a firm that understands what clients need today and what they will need tomorrow. We focus on creative and cost-effective solutions for our clients. It is an approach that makes Eversheds Sutherland a distinctive and innovative force in the legal world.
The Risk & Knowledge Team’s remit is across our UK, Europe, Asia and Middle East offices, supporting the business, our legal and other colleagues. We are responsible for the firm’s regulatory and legal compliance, for its contracts with clients and suppliers, for new business intake and conflict management, for ISO 9001 accreditation, for its insurance arrangements and for handling claims. We are a young, vibrant team following recent investment and are now looking to expand the team once again.
This role is a new one based in our London head office. The role is extremely varied; the issues that arise and the queries from our legal teams mean that no two days are ever the same. The work is a mix of strategic projects and more ongoing work. Examples of strategic projects include implementing new legislation or regulation – assessing the impact for the firm, designing new policies and procedures, rolling them out across the business – supporting our international expansion, supporting major work streams from clients and reviewing processes and making efficiencies.
We are looking for someone to be based in London, to provide on the ground support to our partners and others based there. As such this is a high profile role and you will have considerable interaction with legal advisers and business colleagues at all levels, including senior management. You will be the face of the Risk & Knowledge team and will quickly become part of the wider business. Accordingly we are looking for someone who is self-standing, resilient, personable and with the ability to give advice at all levels.
We are a supportive team and work closely together. We also have the ability to draw on the expertise of our own lawyers and you will often be working with experts in the particular area. It is a great opportunity to work as an in-house lawyer in a fast-moving corporate environment within a strong team and with the resources of a major global law firm.
• Working closely with other members of the team to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory obligations across all UK and international offices.
• Reviewing and considering new legislation and its impact on the firm, advising the business on changes needed and designing new policies and procedures
• Advising legal advisers and business colleagues on varied legal and regulatory queries including the SRA Code of Conduct
• Designing and delivering training sessions as part of project work and as part of the firm’s ongoing compliance programme
• Assisting in designing and implementing the firm’s international compliance programme
• Supporting on client pitches, reviewing requirements and terms
• Working closely with the Information Security and IT function, providing support and legal advice
• Reviewing and updating the firm’s risk management policies, procedures and guidance
• Supporting the Business Acceptance team
• Considerable project work, supporting the firm implement its strategy, as required and working with the wider Risk & Knowledge team on projects from time to time
• Supporting the Head of Risk & Compliance on the risk review/risk management process
• Any other duties as reasonably required by the role
Skills and experience:
• A qualified solicitor, ideally with risk/compliance experience in a commercial law firm
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• The ability to advise at all levels
• A pragmatic and innovative approach to meeting client needs.
• Personable with the ability to gain credibility and to be seen as a key adviser
• The ability to demonstrate commercial awareness when providing technical advice.
• The ability to think independently, contribute to projects and confidently engage with and influence colleagues at all levels.
• Strong commercial and financial awareness
• Strong organisational skills
• Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise
• Enjoys working under pressure and meeting tight deadlines
• Ability to work with minimum supervision, in an autonomous and independent way
• A lively, energetic personality and enthusiasm for providing excellent client service
• A tenacious yet practical approach to problem solving
• Excited and challenged by the pace and demands of a corporate environment
• High degree of commercial awareness, with the ability to contribute to the wider business agenda
• A range of influencing skills, personal impact and communication skills that will ensure success and command instant credibility at all levels of the organisation
• A high degree of flexibility and responsiveness in approach to work
• Service-orientated with an ability to understand the varied issues facing the offices across the firm’s network and provide possible solutions to challenges.
• Resilient under pressure and willing to work with the challenges brought by change.
Email this vacancy to a friend