11 months ago
To assist the lawyers in the Professional Indemnity Team with the management of negligence claims, other litigation and complaints against the firm in any of the firm’s offices.
To assist with the management of the firm’s global professional indemnity insurance programme.
- Claims management: assisting with notification to the firm’s global insurers of any claims or potential claims against the firm and updating on developments.
- Global PI Insurance Renewal: helping to prepare for the firm’s professional indemnity insurance renewal which takes place annually in October.
- Supporting the Team: providing support to the team in relation to the preparation of reports and training presentations.
Complaints: maintaining and updating the firm's Complaints Register.
- Supporting the firm: responding to queries and providing advice to the firm’s lawyers and partners.
Key responsibilities and challenges
Assisting the Professional Indemnity Team with the management of allegations of negligence and other litigation against the firm arising out of any of our offices. This will involve:
- Researching legal issues and reviewing developments in the press and through litigation trackers;
- Conducting file reviews (at least one a month on average) to investigate a claim or potential claim against the firm;
- Assisting with the preparation of notification letters to our global insurers; and
- Keeping the global notifications and potential notifications schedules updated.
Global Professional Indemnity Insurance Renewal
Assisting with the annual renewal of the firm’s global professional indemnity insurance (from May to October each year). This involves assembling a detailed presentation for insurers in relation to the global firm (including its strategy, people, finances and risk management) and working closely with the firm’s broker.
Supporting the Team
Providing support to the Professional Indemnity Team on a variety of tasks and projects, including:
- Reporting to senior management – preparing draft reports on issues such as claims trends and potential liabilities for the firm;
- Training – collating examples of errors made by lawyers in the firm and creating first drafts of documents such as training presentations;
- Matter reviews – providing support to lawyers in the Team when they review client matters through interviews with lawyers and partners; and
- Other specific projects.
Advising on the firm’s global complaints policy and maintaining and updating the firm's Complaints Register.
Supporting the firm
Responding to queries in relation to the firms’ insurance cover and providing advice to the firms’ lawyers and partners on ad hoc queries received into the team. Liaising with the firm’s insurance broker as necessary.
Characteristics, Skills & Experience required:
Character / Commercial skills
- Strong inter-personal and soft skills, a team player who is also capable of working on their own initiative.
- Pleasant outgoing personality.
- Polite, organised, assertive and service orientated.
- Attention to detail and highly analytical.
- Strong drafting and oral communication skills.
- Ability to cope under pressure and prioritise efficiently and must be flexible.
- Ability to develop relationships with partners and other employees and to deal with them professionally at all times.
- Ability to win confidence quickly and confidence in dealing with senior personnel both within the Practice and Business Teams.
- Positive “can do” attitude.
- Ability to prioritise competing projects.
- Team player.
Education / Qualification
Computer literate; familiarity with Word and Excel