9 months ago
JOB TITLE: HR Advisor REPORTING TO: Day to day reporting line is to the HR Manager. Overall reporting to the HR Director JOB PURPOSE: A key member of the HR team, the successful candidate will provide HR generalist support to three key legal
areas, Corporate & Commercial, Banking and Personal & Family. You will need to demonstrate a broad range of
HR experience and have the ability to build relationships, influence and communicate in a fast paced environment
in order to provide a first class service to the business. This role will be based in Edinburgh, with the requirement
to work in Glasgow and Aberdeen on a regular basis.
This is an exciting and challenging role. We are looking for an individual who can work on their own initiative, is
proactive, resilient and committed to doing an excellent job. CORE TASKS: Recruitment
• Co-ordinating recruitment activity for the legal functions (NQ – Senior Solicitor/Associate) from drafting the
job spec through to making the offer of employment. This will involve working closely with the Head of
Department and the HR Manager to establish resource requirements and to devise recruitment tactics /
• Supporting in interviews for NQ – Senior Solicitor/Associate hires and taking an active role in the decision
to hire or not.
• To build and maintain positive relationships with preferred recruitment consultants, to include discussions
around terms of engagement.
• To co- lead the annual NQ recruitment process from end to end
• Monitor the recruitment budget New Start
• To get involved in the induction process for all new starts
• Conducting the new joiner 3 monthly reviews for the hires you are responsible for – this will include setting
objectives against the development framework and monitoring performance thereafter.
• Ensuring that all new starts meet the performance expectations of the firm and having discussions at line
manager level to make sure things are on track. This will also include discussions about probation
• Being the first point of contact within HR for the legal departments you are responsible for providing
commercial and pragmatic advice
• Advising and coaching on tactical and operational HR matters
• Working with Heads of Department to identify eligible solicitors for promotion and coaching candidates
through the business case process
• Providing support and guidance on all aspects of employee relations including, performance
management, absence management, career development, grievance handling and disciplinary action
• Monitoring employee attendance on an ongoing basis and providing support during attendance
management meetings in line with the attendance management framework as necessary
• Assisting with the implementation of the firm’s appraisal strategy, training needs assessments and other
projects related to talent management and career progression.
• Managing maternity and flexible working cases.
• To ensure the firm complies with employment legislation in all HR related activity. Ad Hoc
• Supporting the HR Manager and HR Director to devise and implement HR policies or initiatives
• Acting as an escalation point for any queries from the HR Assistant
• Build credibility with the firm’s management and employees
• To create, along with the HR Team, the annual HR Project Plan
• Actively share knowledge and participate in the HR team CPD programme
• To build and maintain strong relationships between the HR Department and the key business areas they
are responsible for
• To ensure all HR activities promote and maintain the brand of the firm and its core values and
• PERSON SPECIFICATION & SKILLS
• Ideally CIPD qualified with a minimum of 4 years experience of working in a broad HR generalist role
preferably in a Partnership or similar environment
• Able to build credibility with senior stakeholders
• Able to handle HR issues and projects with minimal guidance demonstrating sound working knowledge of
• Up to date understanding of good HR practice and experience of handling ER issues end-to-end
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with competence in reasoning skills and the capacity to lay
down a logical argument
• Adopts a flexible and proactive approach to work duties and organises time effectively to achieve
• Projects a professional image of the department and the firm at all times
• Computer literate – particularly in Word, Excel and Microsoft Office
• An approachable, enthusiastic and committed team player Brodies is committed to equality, diversity & the creation of an inclusive work environment where no partner,
employee, potential employee or job applicant receives less favourable treatment. We value the skills, experience
and perspective that a diverse and representative workforce offers us in terms of our ability to deliver top class
legal services to our clients.