7 months ago
Head of eDiscovery, Alternative Legal Services (ALT) UK, US & EMEA
The Head of eDiscovery, ALT (UK/US & EMEA) will fulfil a senior strategic role delivering eDiscovery services and client-facing leadership for the firm's ALT business, reporting to the Head of Disputes, ALT (UK, US & EMEA). This will include having direct responsibility for the day-to-day management of the ALT eDiscovery team in the region.
The Head of eDiscovery will:
* Work closely with the ALT leadership team, and with the senior teams in ALT's Legal Review and eDiscovery practices, to deliver results that make the vision for the firm's ALT business a reality. The key performance measure in this regard is to help grow the global revenue of the ALT business both organically and through development of ALT's eDiscovery services;
* Build relationships with internal clients in the Herbert Smith Freehills' global Disputes, FREP and Corporate divisions to help build a strong reputation for ALT and to identify opportunities for expansion;
* Be a process-minded individual, demonstrating excellence in client service delivery for both internal legal teams and external clients, including managing the processes and delivery of work. The Head of eDiscovery will have responsibility for the management of any issues arising, reporting these to the Head of Disputes, ALT (UK, US & EMEA) where appropriate; and
* Have a track record of successfully leading an eDiscovery team. An ability to help deliver a high performance culture among a group of diverse, talented, technically excellent individuals will be crucial.
Other key responsibilities of the role will be to:
* Work with Managers in the ALT eDiscovery team to ensure effective management of the wider eDiscovery team with a close eye on quality at all times
* Collaborate with the Heads of ALT's practice groups to establish and maintain a global offering that differentiates HSF from its competitors whilst enhancing the firm's global elite status
* Work with senior ALT colleagues in UK/US & EMEA, and in Asia & Australia, to develop consistency in eDiscovery processes and ensure strong levels of engagement and communication between the eDiscovery and legal teams
* Collaborate with the Heads of ALT's practice groups on the development of business strategy and implementation
* Provide inspired leadership to teams within the eDiscovery group for continuous improvement and innovation in the services and products delivered to clients and legal teams within the firm
* Ensure the team enhances the firm’s brand in their interactions with legal teams and clients
* Lead and develop a culture to support the attraction, development, performance and retention of the highest calibre employees
* Manage change as it impacts the team in a way that minimises operational and client delivery disruption;
* Empower direct reports to fulfil their obligations across all offices of the firm
* Assist the eDiscovery Managers and team in ensuring clear understanding of the financial drivers for the ALT business
* Ensure profitability of the ALT eDiscovery business in the region through rigorous management of costs, accuracy of reporting and compliance with financial disciplines
* Participate in the development and management of annual budgets when required
* Identify and manage key profit drivers to include utilisation and pricing, and ensure proper administration of financial controls and approvals
* Ensure the business is aware of potential risks and that appropriate risk assessment is part of the process for taking on new work
* Comply with risk management obligations and responsibilities in accordance with the requirements for this role as set out on the firm's intranet
* Comply with work health and safety (WHS) obligations and responsibilities in accordance with the requirements for this role
Skills, experience and qualifications
* Highly experienced eDiscovery professional with strong academic record
* Commercially astute with a demonstrable track record as a business leader
* Proven skills in business growth and planning, able to spot and develop business opportunities
* People management skills in a law firm or commercial legal environment managing senior staff and other staff in and out of region
* Experience in resourcing, project managing and motivating teams to tight deadlines
* High level of attention to detail, but can also step back from the detail and see problems, opportunities and trends
* Strong creative and analytical ability, coupled with sound judgment
* Strong IT literacy with extensive knowledge of the technology/eDiscovery market and practical experience of innovative discovery analytics software, e.g. Relativity, Recommind, etc. with an aptitude for learning (and becoming proficient in) the use of new and innovative software and IT applications
Group / Team
Alternative Legal Services
Group / Team description
The Alternative Legal Services business delivers high quality, cost-efficient legal services for document or information intensive, defined process work.
The team works in a complementary and seamless way, offering a combination of legal expertise, process efficiency and client technology solutions to our clients.
The key products and services of our Alternative Legal Services business include document review, regulatory claims assessment, due diligence, verification commercial contracts, funds' repapering, client technology services (including advisory and document review software) and asset management for real estate clients.