Job Title: Governance Officer
Location: Hulme, Manchester
Salary: Salary is £25 per hour, £20,475 per annum.
Hours: Part Time - 819 hours per annum (average of 19.5 hours per week over 42 weeks)
Included in this total is an entitlement to 4.4 weeks holiday and bank holidays which is subtracted from this total (117 hours)
Closing date: 12 noon Monday 5th February 2018
The Sixth Form College is located in Hulme, a mile south of the centre of Manchester and very close to Manchester University and Manchester Metropolitan University, with excellent transport links. It is a part of an international network of Catholic schools and colleges,and was rated as Outstanding in all areas at the last Ofsted inspection.
Our client is looking to appoint a Governance Officer/Clerk to the Board of Governors, to provide governance advice and admin/clerking support to the College. The role involves the administration associated with Board and committee meetings, providing governance advice on procedural, legal and compliance related matters, and updating and maintaining a variety of records, including minutes of meetings and terms reference for committees.
- You will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be accomplished at writing reports, agendas and minutes.
- You will have a flexible approach to work including working some evening meetings. You will be able to analyse and interpret data appropriately, and maintain total confidentiality.
- In this role, you will develop strong relationships with Board members and need maintain up to date knowledge of relevant legislation as it impacts on governance and other related college matters.
Provide advice to the governing body -
- To advise the governing body on governance, constitutional and procedural matters, and on changes to legislation affecting its responsibilities, where necessary before, during and after meetings
- To access appropriate legal advice, support and guidance, and where necessary seek advice and guidance from third parties on behalf of the governing body
- To inform the governing body of any changes to its responsibilities as a result of a change in the status of the college or changes in the relevant legislation
Effective administration of meetings -
- To prepare a focused agenda for the governing body meetings and committee meetings
- To liaise with those preparing papers to make sure they are available on time, and distribute the agenda and papers as required by legislation or other regulations
- To ensure all steps are taken to make meetings are quorate
- To record the attendance of governors at meetings and take appropriate action in relation to absences, including advising absent governors of the date of the next meeting
- To keep a record of and advise governors and appointing bodies in advance of the expiry of a governor's term of office so elections or appointments can be organised in a timely manner
- To chair that part of the meeting at which the Chair is elected, giving procedural advice concerning the conduct of this and other elections
- To act as returning officer in elections for parent and staff governors
- To maintain up to date records of the names, addresses and category of governing body members and their term of office, and inform the governing body and any relevant authorities of any changes to its membership
- To maintain copies of current terms of reference and membership of any committees and working parties and any governors nominated to take a specific focus on behalf of the board
- To maintain a record of signed minutes of meetings, and ensure copies are sent to relevant bodies on request and are published as agreed at meetings
- To undertake such other duties after due consultation, which may be required by the Chair of Governors on behalf of the Governing Body.
- The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please click the APPLY button and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the link to the careers page.
Candidates with experience of; Legal Secretary, Corporate Legal Clerk, Legal Client Secretary, Clerk, Legal Executive, Senior Clerk, Corporate Legal Secretary, Paralegal, Legal Executive, Legal Clerk, Law, Legal Executive, Corporation Law may also be considered for this position.