About the Role
A city-centre location and top quality Employment work- what more could you want?! Our expanding Employment team in Oxford is looking for an ambitious Associate/ Senior Associate Solicitor to work closely with Partner Kate Benefer to provide exceptional legal advice to our broad base of employer and claimant clients.
You will be a straight-talking lawyer, used to providing commercially astute advice to your clients. We offer a really supportive environment but we’ll be looking for you to stand on your own two feet by managing your own workload and taking a keen interest in marketing and business development activities.
The key aspects of the role will include:
- Manage a caseload of Employment files, dealing effectively with cases and transactions. The caseload will be a mix of both contentious and non-contentious work with a focus on working predominantly with Employer clients. You will also get involved claimant work.
- Meet financial and operational targets and support the budgetary management of client matters.
- Build credibility with clients and develop your own client relationships through managing expectations regarding options, outcomes, risk and timescales.
- Develop technical ability, seeking excellence at all times. Begin to develop a niche/ sector expertise.
- Grow your internal and external networks of clients, intermediaries and contacts, building on your personal profile and reputation.
- Take responsibility for managing aspects of department wide projects.
- Take an active role in supervising a small team, delegating tasks and client work to junior lawyers and trainees, providing clear instructions and monitoring progress.
- Ensure understanding of the firm’s strategic goals and sets own personal activities/ objectives to align.
Skills & Experience:
- Qualified Solicitor with a good depth of post qualification experience in Employment law- Essential
- Broad employment experience having undertaken both contentious and non contentious employment work for a diverse range of clients- Essential
- Ability to manage own files and delegate work to others- essential
- Strong client management skills with a focus on delivery of excellent client service- Essential
- Ability to coach and mentor junior lawyers- Desirable
- Positive Attitude to Work- Approaches work with positivity and energy and thrives in a busy environment.
- Effective Communicator- Clearly conveys information and ideas through the relevant media. Speaks in Plain English.
- Self Aware- Recognises personal strengths and weaknesses and uses that knowledge to interact positively with others. Maintains a professional impression.
- Team Player- Actively participates as a member of a team. Develops and maintains relationships with others.
- Resilient- Functions effectively under pressure and handles difficult circumstances in a manner that is acceptable to others and Royds Withy King.
- Open to Change- Receptive to new ways of working with the ability to be flexible in approaching tasks and problems.
Royds Withy King is a UK Top 100 law firm with robust commercial, private client, personal injury and clinical negligence practices. It has the combined expertise of nearly 500 staff across offices in London, Bath, Oxford and Wiltshire and is a founding member of the international network of independent law firms, Interleges.
Royds Withy King uses its experience to put clients ahead of the curve and places client relationships at the heart of everything it does. Royds Withy King achieved eight top tier rankings in The Legal 500 2017 and 39 lawyers were ranked as ‘Leaders in their Field’ in Chambers & Partners UK 2018, both leading guides to the law.
The firm is proud to be ranked for the last five years as a Sunday Times 100 Best Mid-Size Company to Work for. Royds Withy King also received a three star ‘extraordinary’ accreditation from Best Companies in 2017 – one of just six UK law firms to have done so.