8 months ago
Posted on February 2, 2018
Business Development Director
Edinburgh or Glasgow
Our team of business services staff play a significant role in the success of Dentons, and we recruit staff into a wide variety of areas. Here, we look for focused, flexible individuals from a variety of backgrounds who are team players. Previous experience within the legal sector is not essential. We want to give everyone the opportunity to develop his or her potential fully and, therefore, provide support, training and encouragement to members of staff at all levels.
Purpose of role
The purpose of this role is to lead, drive and advise on business development activity in Scotland.
This role will focus on developing opportunities arising from the combination of our strengths as a full service law firm and our leading reputation in these areas. It will help shape our response to market changes, trends and developments. The emphasis will be on new business from existing clients, warm and cold targets; lead generation and client pursuit; working closely with a bids team on sector and service line opportunities as well as running transactional proposals; creating/developing multi-channel, sector based marketing campaigns and taking these to market (including via key accounts).
* To help set the benchmark for a new approach to the delivery of BD at Dentons in Scotland working closely with senior members of the BD and Marketing team to shape and re-model the BD and Marketing function.
* Work closely with key partners and lawyer teams to create, manage, budget for and implement business and marketing plans for the different groups in the practices. This will include acting as a strategic advisor to the groups in relation to the marketplace and how to approach it as well as a leader in the commercial implementation of these plans.
* Participate in client facing, sales driven initiatives such as events, seminars, client workshops and roundtables and attend sales opportunities with partners and lawyers.
* Manage the sales pipeline for the practices including coordinating their participation in pitches with a central bids function, contributing to the progression of new business opportunities and driving action around the preparation for and follow up to marketing activities with a view to closing new business.
* Product/service development and packaging and the building of comprehensive campaigns around these products/services.
* Chair and drive activity through regular 'go to market' group meetings as appropriate.
* Access the resources of the firm to gather relevant research and market understanding and moreover use this to develop insight and actionable intelligence which can feed the marketing planning and business development process.
* Engage with the Central Marketing function via a client/customer relationship to access campaigns support; the capture of experience; the delivery database support; press, media and comms and brand/collateral support.
* Develop anapproach to the use of data, web, SEO, analytics, business analysis, client targeting and the development of content to generate leads for pursuit.
* Support global leadership team on the development and execution of business plans and business development budgets.
Required experience, skills and attributes
* Significant BD experience working in a professional services/partnership environment or other business to business organisation
* BD sector experience is highly desirable
* Strong management and leadership skills are a must
* Experience of developing and implementing business and marketing plans, including budgeting
* Experience of creating and rolling out marketing campaigns
* Sales experience a distinct advantage
* Understanding of the basics of data driven and digital marketing
* Experience of driving through change in a challenging environment
* Drive, energy and the determination to create a rewarding and impactful role in an ambitious firm where change is occurring rapidly
* Strong commercial focus
* Able to interact positively at all levels and a good team player
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills
* Able to prioritise and multi-task particularly when working under pressure and to tight deadlines
* Able to demonstrate excellent customer facing skills
* Can demonstrate initiative and the ability to be proactive, while also being able to follow instructions and provide support to partners and senior members of the marketing & business development department
* Can carry out all responsibilities in a way which supports the practice’s values and promotes its equal opportunities and diversity principles.
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities. In light of our recent combination, Mandarin language fluency would be particularly advantageous given that China is now core to our strategy.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.