6 months ago
Defended Case Handler
(9am-5.30pm Monday to Friday)
Shoosmiths - UK Law Firm of the Year Winner at the Legal Week British Legal Awards 2015.
A leading UK law firm with a network of offices from the South Coast to Scotland, working together as one national team. An innovative practice and the first top 100 law firm to achieve “Gold Standard” Investors in People, our values and culture are not just words on our website but are the heartbeat of the firm. The lack of barriers between departments, a real lack of hierarchy, zero tolerance for arrogance and pomposity makes Shoosmiths a fantastic place to work.
Our Recoveries Services Group provides a complete range of debt recovery services utilising cutting edge technology and with specialists dealing with different debt types, all operating under a centralised management structure allowing us to deliver consistently excellent service. Our structure ensures we can provide a full range of volume recoveries and litigation options, whilst ensuring that we have the expertise and experience to deal with complex and technical issues arising from volume recoveries.
The main purpose of the role is to be competent in the technical elements necessary to provide a quality and comprehensive recoveries service with a client and customer service focus with specific reference to non standard, complex and defended claims.
* To be familiar with and follow the Unit's policies, procedures and processes
* Comply with all of the RSG and the firm's policies and all regulatory requirements
* Control and manage your workload effectively and efficiently using the relevant case management systems and IS resources and processes appropriately
* Be responsible and accountable for your workload including meeting internal and client SLA requirements
* Be aware of associated areas of law impacting the Unit's delivery of its service
* Recognise any potential issues in cases and refer these appropriately
* Attend and complete any training in a timely manner
* Attend internal and external meetings as required and assist in implementing changes to any Unit procedures
* Liaise with other internal teams as appropriate
* Assist the Unit in achieving financial targets, other KPIs, management information and meeting budgets.
* Support the Unit with marketing initiatives when required and collating management information
* Dealing with non work-flowed cases
* Draft non standard correspondence of a technical nature competently
* Run cases effectively and efficiently in accordance with the current legislative and regulatory requirements
* Seek and carry out your client's instructions as appropriate
* Undertake negotiations to facilitate early resolution
* Provide commercially and legally accurate advice in a timely manner
* Provide technical advice to the team
* Update case reports as appropriate
Skills and qualifications
* Existing litigation experience or appropriate legal qualification
* IT literate with experience of using Word, Excel and the internet
* Ability to deal with difficult telephone conversations with any of the key stakeholders in the recoveries process confidently and calmly and refer if appropriate
* Good written, numeracy and oral communication skills
* Accuracy and attention to detail
* Ability to prioritise, be organised and efficient
* Flexibility with the capability to adapt to change, new practices and cope under pressure but with the ability to recognise when to seek assistance
* Able to integrate within a team and able to work on your own initiative
* Friendly and helpful approach
* Treat your colleagues, clients and their customers and third parties with respect
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out on offer of employment is accepted. These checks may include references, proof of ID and current address. Personnel Vetting credit search (which will only highlight insolvency or County Court Judgments); Terrorism Check (against data supplied by the Bank of England) and a Criminal Records check.
Shoosmiths is a committed Equal Opportunities employer promoting equality of opportunity. This means that everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, whatever their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.