6 months ago
We are a sub-group within the wider corporate department at Linklaters. We follow the major changes which the insurance industry has been facing and continues to face. In particular, we have been at the forefront of new restructuring and financing techniques.
Our creative approach leads to our involvement in the largest and most complex M&A deals in the sector. We have also been at the cutting edge of developments in the industry. We work with clients to develop strategies to overcome the obstacles that they face as well as taking full advantage of the opportunities.
Key Responsibilities and Challenges
The key areas of work you would expect to get involved in are:
* General Corporate and M&A work involving insurers;
* Insurance-specific transactions; and
* Regulatory advisory work.
Within the first two of these areas, key responsibilities will include preparing and sending documents to clients, drafting transaction agreement documents such as sale and purchase agreements, insurance portfolio transfers and interim reinsurance agreements and involvement in transaction management for signing and completion. You will be expected to manage trainees to coordinate data room information and liaise with clients. Regulatory advisory work will involve advising clients on a range of matters such as insurance regulatory issues and capital requirements. We also advise on commercial agreements used in the insurance sector including distribution agreements, outsourcing agreements and reinsurance agreements and wider structuring in the context of longevity and bulk annuity transactions. There is scope to become involved in a broader range of sector work such as IPOs, issues of debt securities (and other financings) and public M&A.
The group acknowledges the importance of gaining a breadth of experience during the first years of your career. One of the greatest challenges for an associate, but also one of the most interesting aspects of the job, is that you may be doing completely different work from one day to the next. This is particularly valuable in the early stages of your career as it provides you with exposure to a variety of sectors, clients and lawyers within the group. The group operates an open door policy and encourages junior associates to ask questions and learn from the more experienced members of the group. Being a member of the insurance team by no means precludes team members from working on transactions within the wider corporate department, and our experience is that our team members appreciate this flexibility for the reasons given above.
* Taking initial instructions internally or externally, delegating where appropriate;
* Developing knowledge of insurance regulation, including Solvency II and the FCA Handbook;
* Developing knowledge of insurance contract law;
* Research, due diligence and information management; and
* Drafting and reviewing legal documentation, demonstrating familiarity with precedents and market standards.
Client Relationship Management
* Taking a lead role in advising the client under appropriate supervision;
* Providing commercial and legal advice to the client; and
* Demonstrating thorough market knowledge to identify current trends and concerns in relevant industry sectors. Able to present ideas to the client to resolve current market issues and anticipate potential problems.
* Supervising team and demonstrating control (particularly of documentation) through effective delegation;
* Debriefing at the end of a matter or at other appropriate stages;
* Co-ordinating, coaching and monitoring the work of others to facilitate achievement of objectives;
* Effective organisation of documentation and project plans; and
* Managing meetings effectively by setting clear objectives and agendas and encouraging other’s participation.
* Networking with client to capitalise on new business opportunities; and
* Contributing to quality know-how and transaction bibles and their upkeep.
* Helping the delivery of practice specific training to support the development of the insurance team ;
* Coaching less experienced associates and trainees; and
* Regularly giving and seeking clear performance feedback to/from others.
This role will be open for applications from 30 May 2018 to 30 June 2018. A competitive remuneration package will be offered for this role.
Please note that 2+ years post qualifying experience are required for this role.
* Able to maintain a polite and professional demeanour when dealing with clients;
* Networking skills;
* Organisational skills;
* Ability to communicate assertively when under pressure; and
* Ability to influence using appropriate techniques.
* Innovative and practical;
* Team player;
* Commercially minded; and
* Motivates others.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link below.