12 months ago
We are looking for an enthusiastic newly qualified lawyer to join our Edinburgh Construction team.
About the role
We are a highly regarded quality and friendly team and offer a great opportunity to work as part of our non-contentious team advising clients on all types of construction projects including commercial, retail, energy and infrastructure.
Our work is client facing, varied, fast-paced and challenging across a wide variety of sectors working with developers, major institutional investors, public sector and education bodies, contractors, insurers and lenders in Scotland, across the UK and internationally.
The role will involve:
* working as part of a team to provide first class, professional non-contentious construction advice for clients in a wide range of fields;
* working closely with our clients and their professional consultants when drafting and negotiating construction contracts, professional team appointments, guarantees and collateral warranties;
* advising on procurement routes and use of standard form contracts such as NEC, SBC, FIDIC and JCT; and
* writing articles and presenting at internal and external seminars.
CMS has a global footprint and all associates are given the opportunity to build a firm network through attending learning and development courses in other CMS jurisdictions with colleagues in other offices.
The ideal candidate will:
* be admitted (or be about to be admitted) as a lawyer to the Law Society of Scotland or the Law Society of England & Wales
* have some experience or a particular interest in construction or infrastructure projects, or have had some exposure to this area of practice during their traineeship
* be hard working, enjoy a challenge and be happy to work as part of the team to meet deadlines;
* be well-organised and proactive;
* have excellent attention to detail;
* have good written and oral communication skills; and
* be willing to attend business development events and start building their own network.
CMS is an international law firm with market leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond.
Ranked as the world’s 6th largest law firm by lawyer headcount and 6th largest in the UK by revenue, CMS works with clients in 42 countries from 74 offices worldwide.
A future facing law firm CMS is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. And we recruit, value and nurture top talent.
CMS is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment, to not only adhere to current employment law, but to harness the full potential of our staff and ensure that all individuals are treated fairly and with respect. To meet this aim CMS endeavours to treat all staff and job applicants equally, on the basis of merit and the ability to do their job. Everybody will be treated equally regardless of race, colour, age, religion or belief, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital or civil partner status, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or maternity status (“Protected Characteristics”).
For further information about CMS’ diversity initiatives and programmes, please click here to view the diversity pages on our website.
How to apply
If you are interested please apply online. If you have any queries, please contact Phoebe Napier, Recruitment Advisor.
Please note that CMS have a preferred agency panel in place. Only applications submitted via the portal at the point of instruction will be accepted.